Thread: Applying Finish Before Wood is Completely Dry?

Applying Finish Before Wood is Completely Dry?

I'm wondering if anyone has tried applying finish to a bowl before it's completely dry? Does this lead to problems later, like hazy finish, poor adhesion, other?

In my case, it's a large NE cherry bowl that I intend to finish with Minwax Antique Oil. It has been drying for almost two weeks, and is getting close, but is still losing weight. I think most of the remaining moisture is in the bottom of the bowl, which is a little thick and also has the thickness of the tenon to dry out. So the walls and inside bottom of the bowl should be almost completely dry, but when I remove the tenon, the outside bottom of the bowl will probably have higher moisture.

I'm trying to finish the bowl in time for Christmas. I guess others may be facing similar deadlines! Appreciate hearing what people think.

BTW, microwaving is not an option; the bowl is too big.

Thanks,
    Dave

I often coat freshly turned, but not too wet, projects with shellac to slow down the drying. Not much factual research here but I have not noticed any problems with the final finish.

Penetrating type of oils will do okay, but it can cloud up a bit. That is easily fixed by adding more finish as the piece dries. It does slow down the drying of the wood. any surface type finish does not do well on wet wood.

robo hippy

I turn mostly green wood and turn to final thickness. Depending on the piece, I will often sand and then add MAO (my favdorite finish) immediately. My thought process is that the MAO will displace some of the water and actually assist in the drying and may prevent some cracking. (Note that I don't have any evidence for this but it certainly doesn't hurt.) I'd go for it.

Cheers,
    David

Thanks everyone for the input. I sanded the bowl and cut and sanded the foot. I'm going to give it one more night to dry then put the finish on tomorrow.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by David Gilbert View Post
    I turn mostly green wood and turn to final thickness. Depending on the piece, I will often sand and then add MAO (my favdorite finish) immediately. My thought process is that the MAO will displace some of the water and actually assist in the drying and may prevent some cracking. (Note that I don't have any evidence for this but it certainly doesn't hurt.) I'd go for it. Cheers, David
    Pardon my ignorance, but what is MAO?
    ---Trudging the Road of Happy Destiny---

Minwax Antique Oil.

Quote Originally Posted by brian zawatsky View Post
    Pardon my ignorance, but what is MAO?
    I think he is referring to Minwax Antique Oil
    Fred

General Finishes lets me turn, sand, and finish same day.

I delivered the bowl today to a very happy customer. The finish turned out great. Thanks all for the encouragement to proceed!

Bowl was 13.5" by 6" tall.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    The last couple of small pieces I've turned I started with really green wood and dried it in a microwave.
    That's an art all by itself. By guess and by golly.