Thread: Wooden Scrub Plane ID

Wooden Scrub Plane ID

Found this wooden scrub plane today at an antique shop. Thought it was a nice find.
    The iron is Buck Brothers. Did Buck Brothers make wooden scrub planes or just the iron?
    Any and all information anyone has about this plane I would be interested in hearing.
    Anyone know why the owner may have drilled two holes in the side of the plane? The one by the horn is only 1/2" deep the other is about half way through.

The plane had an owners name stamped in it. I was able to find a record of this name. He was a gentleman in his 90's when he passed in the 1980's.

SAM_0483_3.jpgSAM_0481_1.jpgSAM_0482_2.jpgSAM_0484_4.jpgSAM_0486_6.jpg
    Last edited by Dave Lehnert; 12-17-2016 at 9:17 PM.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

Buck Brothers didn't make planes, only irons and other edge tools.
    This is a continental style plane. The Germans favored this kind of scrub plane, but I've seen similar ones from France and Holland, and they could be more widespread than that, of course. Some British plane makers offered German style scrub planes in their catalogs, where they were sometimes referred to as Bismarcks. I don't know if any American manufacturers made German style planes, but I expect they were popular in the German-influenced areas of Pennsylvania, for instance. With no maker's markings on the wooden body, it's going to be tough to pin this one down.

Quote Originally Posted by John Vernier View Post
    Buck Brothers didn't make planes, only irons and other edge tools.
    This is a continental style plane. The Germans favored this kind of scrub plane, but I've seen similar ones from France and Holland, and they could be more widespread than that, of course. Some British plane makers offered German style scrub planes in their catalogs, where they were sometimes referred to as Bismarcks. I don't know if any American manufacturers made German style planes, but I expect they were popular in the German-influenced areas of Pennsylvania, for instance. With no maker's markings on the wooden body, it's going to be tough to pin this one down.

A Google search of the name on the plane connect it to a gentleman that lived in Connecticut.
    The name was a bit unusual so I think I'm on the right track.

There are other names on the plane but cant make them out completely because of hammer marks. One is "Hamm"
    The other ends with "Oray" Maybe two letters before Oray I cant make out. This name is placed on the front where you would think a makes mark would be.
    All the markings of names looked to have been stamped with some kind of lettering tool vs just hand carved.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

Another question.

What would you do about the cracks on the sole of the plane, Fill them in or let alone?
    - Rick Dale

Blog Entries
    Have you looked in the Neanderthal wisdom/FAQs section?

Bob Smalser has a post on how to resole a wooden plane.

It is a link in the "Neanderthal Sticky Threads" at the top of the forum.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    Have you looked in the Neanderthal wisdom/FAQs section?

Bob Smalser has a post on how to resole a wooden plane.

It is a link in the "Neanderthal Sticky Threads" at the top of the forum.

jtk
    Thanks! Will have a look

Here is the link for anyone interested.
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...ghlight=chisel
    Last edited by Dave Lehnert; 12-21-2016 at 10:59 PM. Reason: Add link
    - Rick Dale