Thread: DC Motor Swap?

DC Motor Swap?

I'm wondering...if one has a DC with a lesser known motor, say a 2HP, would it be worth the effort to swap it for a Baldor, if and when the original motor dies? Is it direct swap or is it more involved than that?

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Arita View Post
    ...worth the effort to swap it for a Baldor...
    As far as effort is concerned, any compatible motor will involve very nearly identical effort, both physical and time-wise, to swap. Regardless of manufacturer.

If you are asking about financial 'effort', that gets much more complicated and I suspect will largely be determined by how much you run the DC. Short of a free Baldor, you would have to run the DC for several hours a day to get a decent return on the investment in a premium efficiency Baldor.

If you are going to swap motors, make sure the new one has compatible electrical and performance (RPM & Hp) specs. Also, look at the frame sizes. If it is a direct drive set-up, the equivalent frame size in the new motor should allow you to simply remove-and-replace. There may be minor differences in the wiring references in the motor's termination enclosure, but will largely follow the same scheme, again regardless of manufacturer.

I like Baldor, but they are proud of their product, and I'd only look at replacement if an existing motor was non-repairable.
    Last edited by Malcolm McLeod; 12-18-2016 at 11:30 AM.

Are you asking about upgrading the HP to improve flow or just a like for like replacement? If the aim is to get more flow, upgrading the HP would only help if the impeller is over spec for the existing motor (eg a 15 inch impeller with a 2HP motor), I think.

I bought an old Cincinnati DC from a wood shop which went out of business. It has a 12 1/4 inch fan and puts out 1100 cfm and it originally came with a Baldor motor.

I am adding a 55 gal drum with a Super Dust Deputy for my primary cyclone. This will be my new DC for my small shop.

If I replace the motor I will probably replace it with a Baldor motor.

I'd only swap out the motor if the old one fails.

I totally agree. I would only swap if my motor is not repairable. I like Baldors motors best. I am looking for a 3 phase Baldor 3/4 hp to use on my drill press with a VFD.