Thread: Looking for a Shop Vac adapter

Looking for a Shop Vac adapter

I've spent a bunch of time looking and haven't found what I need. I need a fitting that fits into the standard 2.25" opening on a shop vac. The other side I have 2 options. I can slip a 1-1/4 ID fitting over or a 1.5 OD fitting inside.

I bought what I thought I needed at Lowes and it turns out it fits OVER the 2.25" end of a vac hose. Rockler makes one that's 2.25 OD on one side but the other side is 1.25 ID so I'd have to use a 1-1/4 coupler which probably works but starts geting stupid expensive. I've found others with a 1.5 OD.

Shop vac and dust collection fittings can be very frustrating. Often times the fittings are the same diameter.
    This is one option:http://www.woodcraft.com/product/142...n-fitting.aspx

I've been 3d printing dust collection adapters.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Marty View Post
    I've been 3d printing dust collection adapters.

Roger,
    If you don't mind me asking what software are you using to render your models?
    Thanks,
    Gene

And what 3D printer do you have?
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meiser View Post
    I've spent a bunch of time looking and haven't found what I need. I need a fitting that fits into the standard 2.25" opening on a shop vac. The other side I have 2 options. I can slip a 1-1/4 ID fitting over or a 1.5 OD fitting inside. I bought what I thought I needed at Lowes and it turns out it fits OVER the 2.25" end of a vac hose. Rockler makes one that's 2.25 OD on one side but the other side is 1.25 ID so I'd have to use a 1-1/4 coupler which probably works but starts geting stupid expensive. I've found others with a 1.5 OD.
    What a pain. I bought and ordered a variety of adapters and couplers from different suppliers so I had a box of miscellaneous sizes to fit together. (I don't use a shop vac but I use some shop vac hoses and nozzles with my dust collector.)

One thing you might do is make custom sizes with PVC pipe. You can heat and form PVC easily. I have heated one end of a piece and stretched it over a wooden form to get the right diameter. I think it would work to compress a heated section with a hose clamp or something (such as a tapered hole) but I haven't done that.

Another thing I did when installing my dust collector with 6" (and 4") PVC was make the right size flange or fitting from short pieces of pipe. For example, if I needed a piece that would slide inside the 6" pipe, say to connect two pieces or a blast gate, I cut a short ring of pipe and cut away a slice with the bandsaw to make a narrow gap on the circumference. Then I squeezed the pipe to the smaller diameter and glued it inside the one of the 6" pipes. If the gap is just right the fit will be snug. I've also cut a short ring from a molded stock fitting and glued it on the outside of a section of pipe inside to make a flange. Maybe you can rig up something like that to make an adapter.

JKJ

Matt, this might be what you're looking for:

https://www.amazon.com/Shop-Vac-9064...2F2+to+1-1%2F2

If that stupid-long link doesn't work, search Amazon for the Shop-Vac 2-1/2 to 1-1/2 Conversion.

I went through exactly what you describe with Lowes. The adaptor unit they sell apparently works for connecting 2-1/2" shop tools to 1-1/4" household vacuums, the idea of which I find very odd. The Shop Vac I have, while pretty powerful at 6hp, is one of their 1-1/2" hose models. If that's your situation, this adaptor is your new best friend.

I've started using the grey soft rubber plumbing connectors. Found them in Lowe's or Home depot. Don't have exact size but there are some choices, and much, much less expensive than the ones you buy from woodworking sites.
    Jim

20161219_115744_1482166736917_resized.jpg20161219_115737_1482166739304_resized.jpg20161219_120151_resized.jpg

Yup, plumbing connectors. I use one on my DeWalt 705 miter saw. Fits over the MS's outlet nicely, and the shop vac hose goes right on it, nice and snug.

If you can't find something in plumbing, then check these guys out. Evenfall Studios has spent wayyyy too much time thinking about shopvacs, which you can put to your advantage.
    It came to pass...
    "Curiosity is the ultimate power tool." - Roy Underhill
    The road IS the destination.

Several times I've heated fittings and wand parts to change the fit.

Most times it was taking the same size parts, heating the intended female part and forcing it over the intended male part.

As mentioned plumbing parts help out too

I also have a box of unused mix & match fittings. It would be nice if the tool manufactures could standardize. This is where a metal working lathe in the shop comes in handy. I have made a few specialized adapters..
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Page View Post
    I also have a box of unused mix & match fittings. It would be nice if the tool manufactures could standardize. This is where a metal working lathe in the shop comes in handy. I have made a few specialized adapters..
    Duh. I have a metal-working lathe and plenty of aluminum and plastic rod stock and never even thought of making a custom shopvac fitting! Good idea.

JKJ

My day job is a software developer, so I like OpenSCAD (www.openscad.org). It is super easy to use for very simple parts. Fusion 360 is a more complex, free-to-use modeling program for more advanced stuff. But really I stick to OpenSCAD for nearly everything I do (including gear trains since I like making clocks). www.tinkercad.com is also fun for super easy stuff.

I have a Flashforge Creator. The successor is the Flashforge Creator Pro which is $899 on Amazon.

To be honest, 3d printing is kind of a gimmick. But I've had fun with it, and I have found a few actual use cases including dust collector adapters and even router template guides.

This is a video that was shared on another site. Have to warn you, it's a bit draggy, and about dust collector fittings, but the process could be adapted to perhaps suit your needs.

One of the guys in our club has done it and says it works pretty well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5TbXBlQjRl4

Vacuum fittings are a pain...
    Funny, I don't remember being absent minded...

Thanks all. The Shop-Vac one at Amazon is 1-1/2 OD so it won't work. I ended up finding one at Lee Valley. Cost me over $10 delivered but at least it solves my problem.