Thread: Help cutting bench top

Help cutting bench top

I'm trying to finish my shop bench and I ran into a problem. My bench top is made of glued up 3"x3" strips of rock maple. I'm going to put a twin screw end vice on it but for the life of me I can't figure out how to square off the end of the table top. The only tool I own that can accurately cut 3" stock is my table saw and there is no way I can safely run that heavy top through my saw. Any ideas?

Circular saw with guide. Then handsaw to complete the cut, then handplane to smooth the surface.

Where are you located? Maybe someone close has a sliding table saw and could cut it for you
    Steve Jenkins, McKinney, TX. 469 742-9694
    Always use the word "impossible" with extreme caution

Circular saw, cut just over half way through from one side, flip it over and cut it off. Use a guide to keep it straight. True it up with a belt sander or hand plane. Hard to hand plane in that position if it is a hard wood like maple. You could true it up with a router and long bit too.

Rent a circ saw with a 10" blade.

Quote Originally Posted by Allen Breinig View Post
    Circular saw, cut just over half way through from one side, flip it over and cut it off. Use a guide to keep it straight. True it up with a belt sander or hand plane. Hard to hand plane in that position if it is a hard wood like maple. You could true it up with a router and long bit too.
    That's how I did my 4 inch bench top.

Thanks for the help

If you are going to install a twin screw vise, then you are very likely to put a piece of wood across that end to receive the vise. I would cut it with a skill saw and make it as square and true as possible, then use a router to put a tongue on the end and cut a groove in the piece you will use for the vise face.

Why would I suggest this? Because its what I did.

160403-038.jpg 160403-040.jpg 160403-041.jpg 160521-104.jpg