Thread: Some Christmas presents ...

Some Christmas presents ...

I live in a very rural area with lots of lakes & forests galore. Much of my work is "residential"...... usually for lakefront cottages ......
    Here's three of the bunch that's out of here in time for Christmas.
    The "Varey" signs are for brothers, purchased by their parents.

All are sandblasted Western Redcedar. Hartco sandmask cut on the router with a 30* V bit. The texture behind the gold leaf is done with urethane glue. All painted with PPG Sun-Proof Acrylics ...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Roger, thank you for sharing all your inspiring work with us. Hope you have a fantastic year ahead.
    60w EFI 6090 & 100w Z4 Reci 6090 G Weike Lasers, 4 X 4 CNC Router
    CLTT using Oki C822dn & Adkins Press
    Glass Sandblasting, Woodwork Shop, etc...
    V Carve Pro v8 & Photo V Carve, Lasercut 5.3, Corel Draw 2017 on Windows 7 and iMac (via Parallels), etc

How well does vinyl/masking stick to the Sun-Proof paint? I'm always on the hunt for good acrylic latex paints that vinyl masking can stick to.
    Equipment: IS400, IS6000, VLS 6.60, LS100, HP4550, Ricoh GX e3300n, Hotronix STX20
    Software: Adobe Suite & Gravostyle 5
    Business: Trophy, Awards and Engraving

I have no issues with it, Ross. , I use Avery mask usually, although I despise their vinyl. Donna uses Oracal 851, I think it is, & it works fine too.
    Usually if you're having issues with mask sticking, the paint is one of those "scrubbable" paints that has teflon or something in it.

BTW, I suspect that PPG SunProof & Porter AcriShield are exactly the same paint. PPG pulled Porter from the Canadian market about 20 years ago because they didn't want to do a french translation on another line, so all I can get here is the SunProof.

You still have to use a "bleed coat" though, as the mask doesn't conform perfectly to the rougher paint surface.

Thanks for the feedback. I'm always on the hunt for paint that "behaves". So many are full of crap and prevent the masking from really sticking. I have a couple I like using but I was looking for something I could buy locally in quarts. My favorite paint so far is PPG DTM but it's only sold in gallons and sometimes I just need a quart. I'm working on a project now so I'm going to pick up a quart and see how it works. It's an ideal project to test a new paint on.
    Equipment: IS400, IS6000, VLS 6.60, LS100, HP4550, Ricoh GX e3300n, Hotronix STX20
    Software: Adobe Suite & Gravostyle 5
    Business: Trophy, Awards and Engraving

Ross, it's difficult anywhere to get exterior paint in quarts. Almost no-body wants exterior paint anyway, & when they do, it's "gallons".
    Even buying quarts can be a waste ... I might open a quart 200 times before it's all used up.
    So ... my solution .... buy some universal tints from a paint store somewhere. I keep mine in those clear containers with the 2-part lid, like honey comes in. That way, you can see the colour of your tint & it's easy to keep "shook up" and you can add just one drop if you need to, Since I often need only a medicine cup full of a colour, this little trick saves me probably $500/yea r,

If you have a good eye for colour, this is relatively easy, although you can still end up with some useless mixes. ... like trying to darken yellow with black LOL It doesn't work ....
    I started out with just yellow tint. It, added to reds, makes a very vibrant orange, & it will let you make untold shades of green if need be. Black is handy too.... I also have blue & majenta, & I'm getting the whole bunch next week ....

7. These are beautiful I have a newbie question though, can someone point me in the direction on how to do the color for these pieces? Are you hand painting them?

Thank You Natalie. Yes, they're all hand painted. Mostly I do them myself, but I farm out stuff that's beyond my skill level ..... like the Golden Retriever.
    BTW, these are all done with house paints. My preference is Porter Acri-Shield. Rough backgrounds are done with those round brushes they sell for painting in corners, acrylic "flats" or foam rollers for the flat areas & good quality lettering brushes for the letters & stripes.
    Last edited by Rodger MacMunn; 02-01-2017 at 6:31 PM.

Those are insanely beautiful. Gosh.