Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Full Spectrum Muse Review

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Philman View Post

Like GlowForge software it appears Retina Engrave 2 is simple to use but seems more geared for moms/daughters etching Christmas cookies in the kitchen.
    Like the GF, it appears the Muse will print directly from most CAD software using a browser-based interface (Mac/PC).

To be fair, there are skilled members at SMC that also might happen to be moms with daughters which might take offense at your comment.

Quote Originally Posted by John Lifer View Post
    Really? Your going to turn your laser over and remove the bottom each time you want to laser an object that is over a coupe of inches thick? NOT! That is what turned me off of the FS lasers.
    Yeah it's definitely not ideal, but it's designed to be a benchtop unit. That said I took the bottom out of mine and just didn't reattach it. Personally I only used it for cutting anyway so I rarely needed the extra height, but I can see how it'd be a pain if you did need to do thicker things.

I'm not aloud to talk about FSL but look into a rabbit if you want a decent laser with USA support and parts.
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Downing View Post
    I think Boss got a new line of lasers from their manufacturer late this year so I'll have to go back and look at that model. But I can tell you that as a company I've been impressed.
    Yes not sure when but Boss did their own design/engineering with this new line (Gen5) in house. Very different now.

Anybody know if they started shipping units yet? I think I remember reading that they were going to start in January.

I think they said November earlier. I hope they aren't trying to emulate GF in that aspect also!

Just got an ad flyer from Rockwell showing the Muse. It's a "special order" deal, but Rockler generally shies away from vaporware*, so I'm inclined to think they're shipping now. They're having a demo week after next...if I remember I'll wander by and report back.

(*After their experience in the early days of CarveWright, I can understand why. :-))
    Last edited by Lee DeRaud; 02-28-2017 at 5:01 PM.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

I know a guy that is going to be a reseller. I might get a chance to see one in person. He has not gotten his hands on yet though.

Ive got a much upgraded 5th gen.

Short list of pros and cond.
    Pro:
    RE is decent engraving software. 3D engraving is handled very well.
    Its a simple enough machine to work on yourself, although, you will be doing so.
    Parts can be cheap if you know where to look. Its mostly chinese laser parts, and ebay can be the best source for replacements. Ive been through 2 sets of mirrors, 3 lenses, and on my second tube.

Con:
    Their tube ratings are bunk. the 45 is a 40. The 35? A 30. Even the chinese sellers are honest about this, not sure why they have to hide behind peak start wattage.
    They dont fix bugs with old software. They go forward generations, leaving bugs out there, and no path to fix for older users. Over at the unofficial forum, they pegged us for a lot of suggestions that seem to have made it into the Muse, but never addressed the issues we stated, for 2 generations of the 5th gen hobby machine.
    Materials in the hobby machine are poor. I wore out an X axis in less than 3 months (replaced it with a real linear bearing setup after that)
    The Muse has no hard e-stop. Just a touch screen. No idea how that blew past their lawyers or UL listing.
    Support and parts can take no time (10.5 hours to my door for one, 2 weeks for another) and seems to have no rhyme or reason.
    No real upgrade path for engraving operations. Glass tubes can only go so fast, and there is no upgrade path for the smaller machines to move to RF. Even if they could, the motors and rails are anemic, and doubt they would hold up.
    Azzy's Design Works

Thunder Laser Nova35 100w, 45 W Full Spectrum Gen5 heavily modified
    Roland VersaUV LEF-20 printer

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan Spiegel View Post
    The Muse has no hard e-stop. Just a touch screen. No idea how that blew past their lawyers or UL listing.
    Doesn't it have a door interlock that keeps the laser from firing? If not, then you may have a point.
    Otherwise, note that my ULS doesn't have a hard e-stop for the motion system either, and I'm not sure I've seen a small-bed machine that does. (Unplugging the USB kills it, but all of the control panel buttons have software in the loop.)
    Last edited by Lee DeRaud; 04-17-2017 at 12:26 PM.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

My 5th gen (1.5 gen 5th gen... so confusing) has a hard stop, and all of the FSL machines to date have a big rd button that kills power. A safety interlock to the control board is not good enough if your control board, made for pennies by a toddler in a chinese factory has shorted somehow, or if your stepper has started to slam the gantry into your work because something moved...

Im old fashioned like that. I havent needed to use one in a while, but the lack of one on my flatbed printer has given me grief once.
    Azzy's Design Works

Thunder Laser Nova35 100w, 45 W Full Spectrum Gen5 heavily modified
    Roland VersaUV LEF-20 printer

I had a 5th gen to start my business. 8 finally moved to an Epilog. It was a long road of bad tubes and issues. I would give it 3 out of 5

If you can, save for an epilog zing or something. Full spectrum is over priced in my opinion and a lot of headaches

To bring this thread back to current, does anyone have anymore hands on experience with the Muse? For 5 years we ran and sold a business with 3 Epilogs. Now that it's sold, my wife and I decided we want another laser for hobby projects but not at the $12K+ cost of another Epilog. Considering a 5th Gen or Muse. Thoughts? Experiences?
    70w Helix 24 | Ultimaker 2 Go

Founder/CEO of Envies Flavor Shot - flavorings for adult beverages. Became a follower of Sawmill Creek from running a monogram acrylic jewelry biz for the last 5 years using 70w Helix 24, 30w Helix 24, and 30w Zing 16. It's been a blessing that allowed me to walk away from 12 years of IT Project Management to work from home with my wife and our two young boys. Some prayers get answered before you even pray them.

Quote Originally Posted by Terry R Peterson View Post
    To bring this thread back to current, does anyone have anymore hands on experience with the Muse? For 5 years we ran and sold a business with 3 Epilogs. Now that it's sold, my wife and I decided we want another laser for hobby projects but not at the $12K+ cost of another Epilog. Considering a 5th Gen or Muse. Thoughts? Experiences?
    FS Muse review good/bad after few months use

https://youtu.be/wHMryq17oX8

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Philman View Post
    FS Muse review good/bad after few months use

https://youtu.be/wHMryq17oX8
    There's another video 5 days later, where his issues were resolved by FS as well.