Thread: Furniture Framework

Furniture Framework

Been looking at a lot of desk, cabinetry and specifically, miter station construction techniques. Seems a lot of people build their frames using veneered plywood. In the past, I've always built my frames with alder, you know, three rails and two stiles. For one, it's quite a bit lighter, cutting panels is a pain, and I've always been under the impression that it is cheaper - but now I don't see the technique I use that often - and that is my question. Am I missing something?

IMG_4580.JPGIMG_4579.jpg
    Last edited by matthew mahoney; 12-21-2016 at 11:51 AM. Reason: Formatting

That's fine if you are all drawers. If you want configurable carcasses that can fit drawers or shelves, then one might prefer plywood cases (I assume you mean cases not frames; the frames I see tend to be edgebanded (Eurostyle) or hardwood.

Also a wider panel or divider allows more than a single pocket screw for support.

Yes, good point about the combo of shelves and drawers. And thank you about the nomenclature - cases/case design. I don't like seeing the end grain on pieces (even woodshop pieces), so I typically make a face frame with the stiles and rails being wider than the case. By using multiple cases, I am able to incorporate the cheaper draw slides that still provide adequate function.

Matthew, the change has come about as a result of automation and mass production. Better productivity is achieved when the number of components is reduced. Better accuracy can be achieved with flat panels in this kind of environment. The workforce is less skilled so labour is cheaper.

Working on your own where time is not crucial and material cost is coming out of your own pocket, your way is still relevant. Cheers

Speed. Most folks can cut a cabinet side out of plywood faster than they can build the side in your pic. Time is money.

Thank you gentleman - good points!