Thread: Electric Heater Choice

Electric Heater Choice

It's time to heat my lil shop so I can work in there.
    Looking in Menards, they have a couple of them I am considering.
    King modelGH24077B @$294 or
    Profusion model EH-4604B @$134.
    Both are 7500w. The King moves twice the air, and has a wall mounted Tstat option.
    Comments and suggestions on the two brands please.
    My shop is 512sq ft.

Can't help you out on the heaters. But how well is shop insulated and have you checked with your electric provider as to operational cost might be?

How well is the shop insulated is my question too. Too big a heater will cycle on and off too frequently in a well insulated shop. I didn't have time to finish my heating system before winter hit and am currently keeping a 1200 sqft shop warm enough to work in, 50+ish, with a 1500 watt plug-in heater and outside temps in the 20's. Granted it is running a lot but a small heater running a lot I don't think uses any more energy than a large heater running occasionally to maintain the same temperature. Someone please correct me if that's wrong. Better insulation will more than pay for itself in short order. That said, I've never heard of Profusion, might be a regional thing, but King has been making heaters for a long time.

The Farenheat unit that I have in my shop would also serve your ~500 sq ft shop well. There is a higher capacity version, too.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...ghlight=Heater
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I just got this unit from Amazon (floor mounted) and it has plenty of heat for an uninsulated 450 sq ft shop. Its rare to need much heat in Texas but over the last 2 weeks its been keeping me toasty when its 25-32 outside https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Do you plan to leave the heater on when you aren't in the shop? If so, then I think it makes sense to go with the T-stat. That said, I think you can add a line voltage t-stat to any heater.

I have the profusion model for my insulated 625 sq ft garage. It is plenty for that space. If your shop is well insulated, I bet the 5000w -$89 model would work fine. (profusion is also branded a "comfort zone" brand if you search for it on the internet).

I have a 768 sqft shop with 10' ceilings on half and 18' on half. I have a 4000 watt and a 5000 watt unit and they will get it from 30 to 60 degrees in about 45 minutes. They both have built-in thermostats and cycle as needed.