Thread: DC in lean-to shed?

DC in lean-to shed?

Is it feasible to put a dust collector in a lean-to outside the shop?
    This would be mostly to save precious space inside the shop, as well as help with noise.
    (i.e., run ductwork and return air through the two walls; not sure on power)

Matt

Matt,

In my last workshop I had my DC in a lean to that I built on the back of my pole barn. It's a good idea, especially for the noise as you mentioned. The only issue I can think of that you need to be aware of is making sure the lean to has enough air opening to match the inlet size of your DC. There are many ways to do this but usually leakage around the door and soffit vents are enough.

We have the cyclone mounted outside. I did frame it in so it looks better.
    Remember a bad day in the shop is much better than a good day at the office!

Gain additional features, benefits and ad-free access to SMC --> Contribute

Are you exhausting your air outside or returning it to the shop? When I put my dc outside, I just ran an insulated piece of 8" hose back into the shop. Now I exhaust outside in nicer weather.

If I had the choice to have that kind of arrangement, I would consider it strongly because it preserves more space in the shop building for, well...shop activities.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

We recently installed a shed 5' away from the shop to put the DC gorilla and some shelves in. I ran an 8" pipe from the previous location of the DC to the shed. The DC vents outside, no return. I have vented outside for quite a while, and it doesn't seem to matter that much to my AC or heat (seldom used here).

It is quieter, but of course the flowing air still makes noise.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

I had my dust collector in a closet, that I built outside my shop. It worked well but made it hard to empty the bag. I moved my dust collector to a new 8'x8' metal shed and now it is easy to empty the bag and still works as well as ever. It also gives me more storage area, after installing shelves.
    No PHD, but I have a DD 214

I have my HF dust collector (modified ala Jay Bates) in a full-width lean-to off my shop, venting outside. The DC is controlled by a Long Ranger remote.
    That is also where I keep my lawn tractor, firewood stack, spare shingles, outdoor tools, and the like.
    The other side of the shop building also has an enclosed lean-to that is my wife's greenhouse (aka gardening storage room).
    ~Garth