Thread: Question on 604/605 bodies....Frogs Interchangeable?

Question on 604/605 bodies....Frogs Interchangeable?

Hi All,

I have gotten myself into trouble too many times by buying planes that need parts.....a significant headache that I plan not to do again (we will see how that works out.) To start with, I don't think I have ever saved a nickel, and it is FAR more trouble than it is worth. They used to say "don't buy someone else's troubles."

I am finally down to the last one that I intend to repair, at least I THINK I am, other than for a few easily obtainable parts.

This is my current problem: I have a Stanley 605 Bedrock with a broken bottom (bought cheap but not nearly cheapy enough), and the rest of the parts are good. The one I have is the flat topped cheeks type. The bottom is hopeless, but the rest of the parts are good, so I am looking for a new bottom. (I have bid on a few, but they sold for a LOT more than I thought they were worth.)

The question is: will the frog off a flat side 605 also fit the 604 flat side body. (I know the tote is different, etc., but that can be overcome if you have a few extra parts......I know a guy in that situation...extra parts that is....comes from buying planes needing parts.......)

I would rather have another #4 size plane than a #5 size, but will settle for the first non-corrugated bottom of either size that comes along, if they interchange. (Either way I will probably restore it and it will probably end up as a gift to one of my son-in-laws.)

Are the 605 and 604 flat side frogs interchangeable?

Thanks and regards,

Stew

Blog Entries
    I can't answer, but you might want to go to the site below:

http://www.supertool.com/StanleyBG/stan0a.html

http://www.supertool.com/StanleyBG/stan15.htm
    Last edited by lowell holmes; 12-23-2016 at 1:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Stew Denton View Post
    Are the 605 and 604 flat side frogs interchangeable?
    Yes. What do you have against corrugations?

Hi Greg,

Thanks for the answer, I thought they might because they are the same width, but did not know for sure.

Not all that much against corrugations, but just like the flat bottoms better. I have some of both and just like the flat bottoms a bit better, especially to plane a narrow edge on a piece of lumber.

Thanks again for the answer.

Thanks and regards,

Stew

I'm not Stew, but, from his comment, I suspect he's had the same issue I've had with corrugations: on a narrow edge, particularly, the arris (corner) can fall into one of the corrugations, and then the corrugation steers the plane. It's a bit like having a bicycle tire fall into streetcar track grooves in the pavement, or riding a motorcycle across one of those cheese-grater bridges* you find in the Midwest.
    ------------
    *I understand the theory: snow falls through the grating rather than piling up, and ice is more likely on a bridge, with its exposed underside, than on the road approaches. But riding a mo'cycle across one of those at highway speeds is an exercise in confronting your mortality from one side of the bridge to the other.

Never had any trouble with the grooves.....since I normally run at a slight skew anyway.

On a Bailey style........they would have to be about the same type, to switch between the two. Flat tops are more alike each other. But...a round top will not switch with a flat top.

Blog Entries
    I have nothing against the corrugations. but I've never found anything in their favor either. I used to have a corrugated plane.

Blog Entries
    Currently there are three planes with corrugated soles in my shop. In use there hasn't been much difference found between them and a plane with a smooth sole. The #8 hasn't been used since entering my shop as it has been resting in a disassembled state since shortly after its arrival, another project on a long list.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Hi All,

Yes, Bill explained why I would prefer the flat bottom plane to the corrugated bottom, in the smaller sizes anyway. It's due to worry about catching a corrugation on an edge. It doesn't matter to me much on the jointer planes, but my concern is with the jacks and smoothers.

Stew
    Last edited by Stew Denton; 12-23-2016 at 4:14 PM.

I have two bailey No.5s.....one is a c model , the other is a smooth sole.....haven't see much of any difference..

Corrugated planes are a lot less work to flatten the soles on, and you can avoid getting steered by thinner stock by skewing the plane. Cuts a little nicer, anyway.
    Jeff

I have both corrugated and non in all sizes bedrock and Bailey. Corrugated is easier to flatten for sure. They do get caught sometimes when you aren't paying attention. I prefer the corrugated, the just seem to glide better.