Thread: Locked out!!

Locked out!!

Went to the workshop for quick something. Finished and locked the deadbolt when the key just continued to turn. Um? Yes, it just spins around like a clock. Unlocked the door handle in the hope that whatever just broke, broke before the deadbolt set. NOT!
    So there I stand wondering how the heck I'm going to get the deadbolt open without the tools that are now on the other side of the locked door. There are no windows or other doors with locks.
    Now that I'm seriously bummed I jump on the web to see if there is a method to open the look without having to destroy something. Lucky for me the lock-set was a less-than-secure model and there was a method that is supposed to work. Using this method allowed me to unlock the door in a couple of minutes.
    I also found out there are 3 grades of locks and my guess is that we had a level-3 lock, more residential in use.
    The new lock set is the level 1 commercial model. Looking at it I wonder what happens if this were to occur again as it is really well built and access to the mechanism will be difficult.
    Well, it took 14-years for the first one to break so I guess we'll just take our chances. So I'm going to put a calendar reminder for 10-years from today so I remember to change the lock. Yea right!
    Merry Christmas Everyone
    Remember a bad day in the shop is much better than a good day at the office!

Gain additional features, benefits and ad-free access to SMC --> Contribute

Great story. Glad you could get back in. I could imagine that happening to me as I read your description.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Scary though, when we can just google a way in... Kind of makes you wonder just how secure we really are?

Glad it worked for you.
    Funny, I don't remember being absent minded...

Yikes. I've worried about that. I hide a spare key in the [not telling].

But the key is a backup. I like the Schlage electronic deadbolts with a keypad since I don't have to have a key with me. The hidden key is a backup for if the electronics fail. (The second backup is a second door on the other end of the shop.)

I'm not too worried about a break-in, factoring in the dogs, the fences, the security gates, the attack llamas, the security cameras, the loud alarm system, neighbors with shotguns, the fact someone is here all the time, and most of all, the [not telling].

JKJ

We locked ourselves out of our house one time when we got a different car and no house keys or garage openers were in it. Called a locksmith and he had my doorknob popped off and in my house in less than 15 seconds. He charged me $40, gave me a receipt, and told me to give that to my car insurance guy if I had full coverage and they would cover it. One part that bothered me a little was the fact he didn't even check my identity or made sure that was my residence.

Locks just keep the honest guys honest.

Have had some trouble myself with Kwikset knobs sticking and won't let you in or out. Agree, you need to replace your locks every few years.

I have Kwickset locks myself. I take them apart every few years and check the mechanism for wear. The newest ones' are not as well made as my older ones. They do carry a Lifetime guarantee. I just take them to the local Borg where they were purchased and get new ones. The ones I have picked up old locks over time, I just rebuild. I have started just putting a passage locksets' on doors not exposed to the weather that use Deadbolts. The two-sided keyed deadbolts, I use on doors that I do not use or are storage rooms. Dan