Thread: Which CNC to get?

Which CNC to get?

Hello everyone. I am currently looking for a CNC machine with a possible laser attachment.

I'm looking for something that can cut thin wood and acrylic. Also wanting to etch cork and slate.

I have designed and would like to make coasters in wood, acrylic, cork and slate and a few other products.

I have researched a lot but I've never purchased a CNC, just used the one at our local maker space.

Any suggestions would be great and thank you in advance.

I have never heard of a CNC/Laser combo...

If you do a search here you will find lots of "Start Up" laser and CNC related questions that will give you a good start on decision making.

Honestly, you are going to find a lot of follow up postings from start up's about trying to make back the investment in the equipment and how a great idea just did not sell as expected. I found my first stumble in 2007 was making a bunch of Quilt Racks for the Craft Fairs based on some requests from Quilters. In the long run that was a fail... I still have about 75 % of the first batch I made. When it came down to it, Granny just didn't want to pay a fair price for them and they never sold.

I was lucky as I had my heart set on a ShopBot but a 2007 Sears TV commercial for the new "hobby grade" CarveWright CNC grabbed me... Bought one and over the years 3 more used and broken as I am a Mr. Fix It on the machine.

I still use my machines but my business has moved from Crafts to Fire Department Safety Products where I use my Hobby CNC to cut Tag Blanks and Handles for Status Boards.

My advice.... Make better use of the Makers Place and develop a product and see if you can actually support a machine purchase with the product. And be careful to not go down the slippery road of making items like Sports Team stuff and other Copyright Items.... If you make money from them in most cases you can go to jail.... That is another topic to search on too... Many new to this first think a Laser Engraver or CNC is like a Machine to print MONEY.... In a way it IS.... IF you can find a legitimate product.

A few here ARE doing stuff like Sports, Harley, Boy Scouts, etc.... BUT they have a LICENSE to do so, a very expensive license...

Good Luck.

AL
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by AL Ursich; 12-25-2016 at 2:36 PM.
    1 Laser, 4 CarveWrights, Star 912 Rotary, CLTT, Sublimation, FC7000 Vinyl, 911 Signs, Street Signs, Tourist Products and more.
    Home of the Fire Department "Epoxy Dome Accountability Tag and Accountability Boards".

Good advice Al. I have heard about combo laser/router machines where you can switch out the heads but from what I have heard they are limited in what they can do, especially on the laser side.

Al, I always enjoy seeing your work, very professional looking.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Attaching a laser to a CNC router necessarily limits one to a smaller, less powerful unit (typical lasercutter units use a mounted laser and a system of mirrors to reflect / guide the beam) --- if one accepts that limits, and only does cuts within them it can work out.

There are a lot of hobby-oriented machines --- list of them on the /r/hobbycnc subreddit --- I volunteer and do part-time work for the Shapeoko which has a fairly detailed wiki --- I'd like to think that everything one would need is there.

The designer of the Shapeoko did do a book which has been well-received: Getting Started with CNC: Personal Digital Fabrication with Shapeoko and Other Computer-Controlled Routers

Get a router and a separate laser. Shapeoko and a 40watt chinese laser would be the cheapest solution. A finelineautomation or cncrouterparts router would be a robust kit. If buying complete look at probotix or Camaster or shopbot in my opinion.

I think shark had a combo multi head irea with a diode laser.

A diode laser add on diy is about $200-$500 if you pay a lot and can do the controls yourself.

Just got a ShopSabre pro408. They seem well built for the cost
    ~ universal vls6.60 32"x18" table with 60watt laser. Accessories = rotary fixture, honeycomb cutting table, & air assist. Using Corel draw x6.

~ ShopSabre PRO408 CNC Router. Vacuum hold down. and 4th axes rotary. Using Aspire

~ Fully Stocked Cabinet/Wood Shop

Machines are used in an educational setting. Thanks from Mike in South Dakota

I stand corrected... They DO make a CNC with a Slap On Laser.... Saw it in the Rockler Catalog... My BAD....

Good Luck,

AL
    1 Laser, 4 CarveWrights, Star 912 Rotary, CLTT, Sublimation, FC7000 Vinyl, 911 Signs, Street Signs, Tourist Products and more.
    Home of the Fire Department "Epoxy Dome Accountability Tag and Accountability Boards".