Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: resawing with a grizzly G0514X2

resawing with a grizzly G0514X2

I have a 19''' Grizzly band saw. Trying to resaw several boards of various sizes, with no luck. I have tried different blades sizes, etc. It either horseshoes away from fence, or it veers out. Any suggestions?

Blog Entries
    Wow, no help on a bandsaw question?

I think a little more information about the method you're using might get you some more answers. Things that will affect your ability to resaw successfully can certainly involve your blades. Since you've tried multiple blades we're going to look at the saw.

If you saw some 1 inch thick material does it saw straight? How thick does the material have to be before you start getting tracking problems?

yes. been trying to resawing some 1X4 stock. runs out everytime. 1X2 does better, but not much.

Did you set your fence to cut straight on the bandsaw? I take a board draw a straight line down it. Then cut a little ways down the line free hand so you are cutting on the straight line. Turn the saw off leaving the board in place. Adjust the fence to the angle on the board you cut. Your fence should be adjusted. I am no expert but I have been cutting some 1/8 cedar this way and it works well for me.

What blades have you used? Are you sure you're tensioning them correctly? How fast are you pushing?

I have the same saw. I had tremendous problems with vibrations after moving to my new shop but other than that I have no problems reswwing 8" boards. (I've not had occasion to try anything bigger) So take heart, the machine is capable. I'm sure others will chime in with great tips.

First, exactly what blades are you using (brand, model, TPI, width etc).

What species of wood?

What method do you use to set the tension?
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Nelson, have you adjusted your fence for blade drift?

(I apologize if this is an obvious question)

Nelson

We need a little more info.
    That saw should be fully capable of re-sawing and the fence should not have to be adjusted for drift. My 18" Rikon 540 has the fence set parallel to the blade and I can re-saw to within a 32nd- 64th in thickness variation, regardless of material length, or width. Not finish ready obviously, but close enough for book matching. Yours is much nicer, more powerful and heavier, saw than mine.

My saw is set up using a dedicated, 1" lennox ,2/3 vari-pitch, Trimaster blade for re-saw. The fence is not set for any drift whatsoever. The blade, table and fence are all at 90 degree angles to each other. Bearings are set to within the "dollar bill" gap from the blade. Blade teeth are set a little more forward on the wheels than I like, but that's where they want to track for best performance. The hook of the tooth is about an 1/8" from the front of the wheel. ( I have no crown to the tires). Tension is pretty much just a little shy of max, but leaving enough gap between spring coils to know that I still have an active spring.( You gotta have an active spring. )

What does "horseshoeing" mean. Are you getting a convex curve through the width of the material? Are the tires clean, and is that fence rock solid? You may have to clamp the back of the fence to keep it from toeing out. I clamp stop blocks to the front and back of mine once it's set to ensure the fence absolutely does not move.
    Last edited by Mike Cutler; 12-24-2016 at 8:57 AM.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

thanks. I'll start over and try these tips. first time trying to resaw. thanks again.

Try cutting more slowly. Problems can result from sawdust filling the gullets between teeth, causing the blade to deflect in order to cut. This is one reason fewer teeth per inch are helpful: more room for sawdust.

I had no problems resawing 8" on a 514. My experience is that problems come with a dull blade.

4" stock can be resawed on a tablesaw. A bit more waste, but hard to do wrong.

The only time I have ever had "drift" while re-sawing with my 14" saw is when the bade was dull.
    No PHD, but I have a DD 214

Maybe it is the holidays and people are busy but to get proper help we do need more info otherwise we are throwing darts in the dark. This can be a problem since sending you down the wrong path may result in making adjustments the compound the issue and lead to more frustration and getting farther away from a solution.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Don't know if this thread is still being monitored. I have a Grizzly G1148 15 inch bandsaw. I want to start resawing some wood, generally 6 quarters thick by 10 inches. Various types of wood. My question js do I need a resaw fence (Grizzly makes one, but I don't think it fits my saw, which they no longer make), or will a properly tuned up bandsaw resaw without a specific fence?

THANK YOU

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerry S. Wojtowicz View Post
    Don't know if this thread is still being monitored. I have a Grizzly G1148 15 inch bandsaw. I want to start resawing some wood, generally 6 quarters thick by 10 inches. Various types of wood. My question js do I need a resaw fence (Grizzly makes one, but I don't think it fits my saw, which they no longer make), or will a properly tuned up bandsaw resaw without a specific fence?

THANK YOU
    There are folks like me who setup their saw and fence and use them with good success despite stock height or blade changes. There are folks who adjust their fence for drift as their blades age or when they change blades. Either of these folks may use a post or knife fence add-on to allow the operator to alter the feed path to get a true cut. I made a simple one once upon a time.

resaw-guide-3.jpg

Once I had my saw setup I found it of no use and it is around the shop somewhere. Mine wasn't this involved but, here's a version:

resaw fence guide.JPG

I do not know what result you are after but, the result from resawing without a guide of some kind could be pretty variable. There are a lot of plans for shop made bandsaw fences on the web. A well made right-angle assembly clamped to your table will work. Fancier ones work more elegantly or more easily or both ;-)

I use the fence that came with my saw. I once did a set of pics for a "drift" discussion showing results as I changed blades without adjusting anything but the guides. Let me look . . . ah, here we go. I made each cut off of a white oak scrap using this setup.

BS Align (11).jpg

The only thing I changed was the blade and I moved the fence a bit closer to the blade to make up for the previous off cut.

BS Align (12).jpg

The point being that there are a lot of ways to resaw. Some take more effort (and sometime a bit of cash) up front, others take more time for each cut but, you can get good results with a good blade and setup. The better your setup, probably the more consistent your result. There is always 'that guy' who seems to be able to freehand almost anything. I am not that guy. A good repeatable setup is my defense for mere-mortal skills
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 10-21-2018 at 11:50 AM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler