Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ripping 2x12s

Ripping 2x12s

Greetings. I'm new to this forum. I'm looking to build a workbench and plan on laminating 2x6 pieces for the top. I don't have a lot of woodworking experience. Most of my woodworking experience has been with making bows and arrows, selfbows not laminated ones. So, I've worked with axes, froes, draw knives, Stanley Sureform, rasps and cabinet scrapers. My lumber has either been from trees I've felled or 1x2 red oak lumber from the home store.

What I don't know much about is dimensional lumber and how to prepare it. This is what I'm trying to learn. My question is about how to get to my 2x6s. I've read a few discussions on the website but I still remain uncertain what to do. Some information says rip 2x12s because it's better wood, perhaps more dry but comes from a larger tree. The lumber yard has 20' long 2x12s. They say 2x6s come from the same tree as the crappy 2x4s do. On the other side, I see recommendations to get the 2x6s because if I do rip the 2x12s they will go all crazy on me and I'll have a bunch of firewood.

I would appreciate some guidance on the best way to do this. The wood I'm choosing to use is Southern Yellow Pine and it's available at the local lumber yard. It's available at both the home store and the lumber yard but from what I'm reading on these forums I might get better wood from the lumber yards.

As you can tell, I'm quite confused. Thank you for your input.

Todd

West Central Alberta, East of the Rockies - West of the Rest
    Todd, if you have access to 2 x 12 x 20 lumber that's great. First thing I would do is take a moisture meter out and check for moisture content, everything over 11% is kind of dice IME. Next, be aware of the pith (the very center of a tree) which is a bomb and needs to be cut out. If the pith is right in the middle of the board that's great, it would possibly yield you 2 5" wide boards that are very stable (called vertical grain lumber for softwoods) . The safest way to remove the pith is with a bandsaw, not a table saw (a circular saw works too). The boards should be cut to rough length before ripping. After removing the pith it is crucial to let the lumber rest for several days before further milling, after that the process is straight forward as with any other lumber. It helps when you work with very sharp tools.
    Hope this helps
    Merry Christmas

i would save the 2x pine for the legs and stretchers and use some sheet stock for the top. double up any 3/4 material for a stable work surface.

Blog Entries

Arrow

Two pieces of 3/4 ply are not thick enough for use as a hand tool bench, which is what the OP seems to want to build.

Acclimatize the lumber before you start dimensioning, but you could likely rip to width without much grief. If you do not have tools available for dimensioning you will need to either borrow them or their use to dimension. You can work by hand or machine.

I've Dim'd work for light timber projects by hand, it can be done and doesn't really take very long.

Anywho the basic process is jointing, which means making one face straight and true then cutting the opposing face to 'thickness' using the jointed face as a reference. At that point you'll want to glue up the benchtop then repeat the process on the benchtop.

If you want better lumber then skip the home center and buy high quality wood from a specialty lumber yard. If you make a large enough order then you may be able to have them do the rough prep.
    Last edited by Brian Holcombe; 12-24-2016 at 1:47 PM.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

I usually buy lumber at the home center for two reasons. First, they are open when I have time. Second, I can pick through the pile. This time of year, their wood tends to be dryer. Because the air inside is dryer. There is probably also less usage in the winter so the wood may be on the rack longer.

When a sawmill cuts up a log, they get the biggest pieces of usable wood possible. That is just good economics. A 20 foot long 2x12 had to come from a relatively long piece of the trees trunk. I believe you will get better pieces of the 2x12 but not necessarily better than 2x6s picked out of a large pile at the home center.

The edges of dimensional lumber is rounded to give less splinters. So if you need unrounded edges for your workbench, you have some waste to deal with. That is less if you use the 2x12.

I don't know what tool you have to rip things up. I would use my track saw. By cutting a little large and then recutting, you can normally eliminate the bow that can happen when you cut down a bigger piece. The area around knots is often where this will happen. For instance, if you want 2 pieces 5 inches wide out of the 2x12, you could rip it into two pieces 5 1/2 or a little bigger then rip each edge again. The bowing will most likely happen on the first cut. The second and third will remove very little wood reducing the chance the piece will move.

I built a lot of furniture out of dimensional lumber when I started out. I may use some in the not too distant future to build a new fangled workbench (google it) for use with hand tools. It is meant to be built of dimensional lumber. The author used fir but that isn't readily available here so I would use southern yellow pine, obtained by sorting through the pile at the lumber center and quite possibly cutting down 2x12s or 2x10s.

Gentlemen,

Thank you for the advice. John, you recommended not using a table saw to rip the 2x12's and suggested using a bandsaw or circular saw. Can you explain why one is better than another? Thank you.

Todd

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Roseberry View Post
    Gentlemen,

Thank you for the advice. John, you recommended not using a table saw to rip the 2x12's and suggested using a bandsaw or circular saw. Can you explain why one is better than another? Thank you.

Todd
    I don't think that it should be dangerous to rip a 2x12 on a tablesaw as long as you take the normal safety precautions. Cutting them a few inches longer than the final length is a good idea to help manage them easier. Infeed and outfeed support is helpful for anything longer than 4 feet. Stand to the side of the kickback path. etc.

The comment about a bandsaw being safer than a tablesaw might be because a tablesaw can kickback because the blade is spinning the wood towards you. A bandsaw pushes down on the wood as it cuts, so it is much harder to kick back. Ripping a 2x12 into two 2x6's does not seem like a very dangerous operation.

Steve

Todd, you might update your profile and let us know from where you call home. You might get some recommendations for other sources of lumber besides the usual retail outlets.

When ripping long stock, if there is any twist or tension in the wood, then the board can bind as you push it through the table saw. This can result in "kick back" which could result in an injury, marring the your work, damaging your saw or all three. Some times ripping a board under tension will simply pinch your saw blade to the point of it coming to a stop. If the wood is relatively straight and not under tension, this doesn't happen. If your table saw has a riving knife or a splitter then \it is less likely this will happening. On a band saw, you don't have to worry about kick-back and with a circular saw if the your blade starts to get pinched, you can stop sawing, put a shim in the kerf behind the saw and resume the cut.

Todd,

I tackled what you are embarking on when I built my Roubo. I opted for digging through the 2x12 piles at Home Depot until I found the best boards I could in terms of grain, regardless of moisture. This was for the entire bench, not just the top. I agree, you get better material from larger boards. I bought around twenty total, and only had one move so much during ripping that it was unusable for laminating into the top. The rest certainly moved, but not too much and I still wound up with 4+ inches of thickness in the top. I ripped them with a circular saw and agree the table saw isn't ideal. The potential for excessive movement during the rip is a kickback concern.
    For even the Son of man came not to be served, but to serve.

Blog Entries
    Track saw is a good choice, you can straight line rip without a reference edge.

Conifers are stronger and more stable when they are slowly grown. Quality softwoods are also far easier to cut crisp joinery into. Gnarley Douglas Fir is really awful to work with and VG DF with tight growth rings is a pleasure to work with.

Consider that you will need to resurface this bench many times during its life, so line the grain up so that it all planes in the same direction.

This is how good DF planes:

Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Bob, I'm going for a Roubo style too all out of SYP. Did you like the way yours turned out? Any words of wisdom in dealing with the wood other than watch the kickback?

Thank again to all of you.

May it be blessed!
    Todd

You are about a 90 minute drive to Series Hardwoods in Attica Indiana or Cassens Lumber in West Lafayette IN. Both are a small, family operated business. You would need to call Series for prices; Cassen has a web site: http://www.cassenslumber.com/lumber.pdf. Series is typically open Saturday mornings until noon, but if you are going to visit either place, I'd suggest calling ahead first. I've dealt with both - very nice people. Series has milling services - Cassens does not. Series is more of a wholesaler and custom milling outfit whereas Cassens is more of a tree to lumber to consumer outfit. Maybe someone will come through with recommendations closer to home. I'd strongly suggest poplar or hard maple over BORG construction lumber for your bench though I've seen lots of great benches made out of lumber from the big box lumber stores.

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Roseberry View Post
    Bob, I'm going for a Roubo style too all out of SYP. Did you like the way yours turned out? Any words of wisdom in dealing with the wood other than watch the kickback?

Thank again to all of you.

May it be blessed!
    Todd
    I think you'll be happy with your material as long as you are picky and patient. Get the best stuff you can even if it takes several trips. It probably won't, though... I got everything I needed in two trips. I broke the stack down to rough sizes and let everything sit until it was about 8%. Also, I made my leg vice chop out of Ash and feel good about that. I think SYP would get beat up quickly there. It's really not a super difficult build. Depending on the vice choices you make, you may want to spend more on hardware than I did. I have a simple screw from Lee Valley in the leg vice and it's fine, no real regrets or complaints there. I used the veneer press screw from Rockler for a wagon vice and wouldn't do that again. Not saying I would immediately go Benchcrafted ($) but I'd check more options. I'd also make a practice build of the wagon vice to work out the kinks.
    For even the Son of man came not to be served, but to serve.

Quote Originally Posted by John Lankers View Post
    Todd, if you have access to 2 x 12 x 20 lumber that's great. First thing I would do is take a moisture meter out and check for moisture content, everything over 11% is kind of dice IME. Next, be aware of the pith (the very center of a tree) which is a bomb and needs to be cut out. If the pith is right in the middle of the board that's great, it would possibly yield you 2 5" wide boards that are very stable (called vertical grain lumber for softwoods) . The safest way to remove the pith is with a bandsaw, not a table saw (a circular saw works too). The boards should be cut to rough length before ripping. After removing the pith it is crucial to let the lumber rest for several days before further milling, after that the process is straight forward as with any other lumber. It helps when you work with very sharp tools.
    Hope this helps
    Merry Christmas
    My experience with 2 X lumber for projects that you intend to be free standing - square - and straight leads me to say - stay away from 2X lumber. All well and good to use 2x stock for buildings and porches when the end product is part of a system that will have load and be secured to earth or other building bulk but for furniture - even rough furniture such as a shop bench - UNLESS you are bolting this to your walls I recommend stay away. I don't think that the average Joe can pick 2Xs off a pile with any degree of certainty that they won't twist and turn even though they "seem" perfectly straight in the moment.

If you must use 2 x, I quoted John's reply above because he provides some appropriate caution. 2xs can explode out of your hand when released by ripping. Bandsaw or some circular saw system that has the cut piece securely held is FAR SAFER than ripping on a table saw.

You can tell that without my saying any more that I would recommend purchasing some kiln dried lumber, flatten and joint straight and build a bench with the potential to remain flat and solid for your life time. Cheap money in the long run.
    "... for when we become in heart completely poor, we at once are the treasurers & disbursers of enormous riches."
    WQJudge

Todd, use a circular saw with a rip guide, way quicker, more accurate, and safer than trying to wrestle a heavy board that probably isn't flat thru a table saw.
    I routinely freehand to scribe lines on tablesaws, and cope trim with them on occasion, but there is no way I would send a 20' board thru a typical tablesaw.
    I also wouldn't send a board of any length that was twisted/ badly cupped etc thru a tablesaw...