Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Cabinet Saw or European Slider

West Central Alberta, East of the Rockies - West of the Rest
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Thanks, John. I appreciate the explanation...it makes perfect sense! 99% of the time, I've use the standard miter fence on my MM slider for normal "dead nuts" 90º cuts, but for a commission I'm currently building, I needed to actually use it for angled cuts at 15º. Like I do when I have the blade tilted, I utilized a sacrificial fence clamped to the unit to provide perfect registration to the blade path. (something I always did with the cabinet saw and the Incra miter I used with it) I suspect you'd do the same with the Incra on the slider wagon. The miter unit I'm referring to can be seen on the right side of this photo...
    Absolutely, occasionally I even use blue tape when a backer board won't work .
    The Incra is just easier to set for small picture frames or other intricate cuts, especially for compound miters - not necessarily more accurate.
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 12-27-2016 at 9:14 PM. Reason: Fixed quote tagging

I recently moved from a small slider that I had since 1997 to a Sawstop PCS. There were things that I just could not do with the small slider that I wanted to do. I could not cut dados or larger panels etc. I have not regretted my decision. For what I make and the way that I work the cabinet saw just is a better fit. If I had the room for a full size slider. I would have one. They are great at what they do especially if you are cutting tons of sheet goods. I have friends with full size sliders and they are awesome. Now I just use my track saw when I need to cut sheet goods and happily use my PCS for everything else. While I agree that a cabinet saw is not great at many things it is plenty good and super versatile for most task that a hobby, or one man shop furniture maker needs. I like to say I am a Semi-Pro. I have a day business that pays my bills and at night I make wood art for sale that pays for most of my shop, I also make some furniture and cabinets for myself so the amount I use my saw I will never wear it out and it serves my needs perfectly. The grass always seems greener on the other side of the fence.

Quote Originally Posted by John Lankers View Post
    Here are pictures of my Incra miter gauge on my Felder KF700 S Pro
    I see, nice! You do have a little modification Thanks for sharing.

James

Like many of you I used a unisaw for 25 years before buying a felder 741 combo machine. I was planning on selling the unisaw but decided to keep it since I had the space. I now use the unisaw, equiped with a power feeder, for ripping/dados. The slider is used for everything else. For the most part this combination saves changeover -time of the blades and fences.

I purchased the slider used and my complaints are:

1) the slider won't handle a 8' long board
    2) the smaller cross cut fence is very difficult to square to the blade so I keep the long fence mounted.

I also have a track saw. If I could only have one saw I would take the slider (space permitting).
    Sorry my message is so long, I didn't have time to write a short one.

Quote Originally Posted by marty shultz View Post
    2) the smaller cross cut fence is very difficult to square to the blade so I keep the long fence mounted.
    I have the exact opposite situation with my MM slide...the smaller cross-cut/miter fence is dead-nuts on no matter what or how many times I remove it and re-install it. The fence on the outrigger takes effort to get and keep square. So I stopped removing the outrigger to avoid that.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by marty shultz View Post

1) the slider won't handle a 8' long board
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--M-Iz2pw1k
    Chris

Everything I like is either illegal, immoral or fattening

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Parks View Post
    Another location is

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VL54SR0nXgM

at the 1:59 mark, it shows the Hammer accessory for straight lining longer boards..............Rod.

I bought the 79x48 Hammer slider so I could straight line rip longer boards, but think for most use a 48x48 would be the way to go. Like others, I kept the old Unisaw.