Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Next project to be a little different

Camera issues today. May go shopping for another. Anyway, I did a bit of re-saw work this morning. Had a 4x4 to saw down into parts. Was looking to get a few at 4/4 by 2" wide. Meh. Plane to smooth and square a blank up. Mainly used a stanley #5-1/2. Got the 45 ready to go, and work on both edges something like this...
    IMAG0002.jpg
    This being a cut-off. I cut a tenon on one end first, then figured out how long a part was needed to fit between the corner posts and still have a 1-1/2" tenon. Used a mitre box to cut to length, and then a backsaw to make the other tenon.
    IMAG0001.jpg
    One done, only nine more to do. That wood bodied plane was used to clean the rebate a bit. When I get rested back up, and maybe a new camera.....I'll work some more...
    BTW: Mitre Box is a Stanley No. 358.....seemed to do an ok job...

Ok, merely bought a Vivitar Vivicam S126 Point & Shoot camera. It even has a Macro Setting....oooh, ...aaahh. Gave it a try out, after I was done with the resaws....
    mitre box (640x409).jpg
    Had to go and do a resize of the pictures the new camera posts. Camera wants to send out as 800 size, had to drop down a bit to get it to post here...
    Crosscut on a blank. Have one blank all fancified up, and have four more to plane and mold...
    four blanks (640x480).jpg
    Maybe tomorrow, I can get that HUGE saw off my bench, and get back to using a few hand planes?

Thanks for the photos. Good stuff. I need to make a box to hold my 45 and the cutters for it.
    David

Wood will wait another week, or so. Got some time to clean up and move things around in the Dungeon Shop today.....enough that a LARGE Contractor's Trash bag is now over half full of junk and dirt. Cleaned the florr after moving these toys out of the way..DSCF0004 (640x480).jpg
    Which left this area to clean out..
    DSCF0001 (640x480).jpg
    Once everything was off the floor, dirtwise, I could move things around a bit..
    DSCF0007 (640x480).jpg
    The bench for the Mitre Box is now out where I can use it a bit better, right beside the bandsaw and behind the workbench. I'll be filling those shelves up, soon enough. The small bandsaw is now against the wall as is the Tool Chest #2..
    DSCF0008 (640x480).jpg
    Router table is now beside the lathe, and can be moved out of the way when the lathe is in use. Mitre Box is now out and under the main shop light, so I can see a bit better.
    DSCF0005 (640x480).jpg
    hey, at least I can not only walk into there, and even turn around, I might even be able to do some work back there. Mitre saw is now off the bench, so now I can get back to using the planes, again..
    DSCF0009 (640x480).jpg
    Have a bit of woodworking to do.....after all...stay tuned.

Blog Entries
    Ok, merely bought a Vivitar Vivicam S126 Point & Shoot camera.
    The images look a lot sharper than your old camera.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Not sure how long the batteries last in one of these cameras. I can't just plug the camera in, and let the computer recharge the battery pack. New one takes 3 AAA batteries.

Lumber run for today, then back to making sawdust & shavings......we'll see IF the camera can keep up...

Quote Originally Posted by David Eisenhauer View Post
    You are a dynamo Steven C. Looks like you will reclaim some of the space in that shop for a more efficient use.

It needs a bit of love, for sure!

Quote Originally Posted by David Eisenhauer View Post
    Thanks for the photos. Good stuff. I need to make a box to hold my 45 and the cutters for it.

Post some pics when you get her complete!

Quote Originally Posted by Stew Denton View Post
    Hi Steven,

Your basement shop looks like my half of the garage, but you have more and better stuff than I do. (That's not to say that I can't mess things up pretty well with what I do have.) However, you do have a bench that is usable.

I like your drawing up plans, I do that too, but then I lose the plans. Maybe I can make some progress next summer, hope to build some storage, or MAYBE build a bit of a shop.

I've made a little progress in the past year, but you have made a lot more. I have to get a big project done at work, and then maybe I can work a little on my stuff next summer when it gets warm.

There is always hope for folks like us!

Stew
    Keep us posted with your progress as well, please!

Blog Entries
    ...then maybe I can work a little on my stuff next summer when it gets warm.
    My only problem with the cold is not being able to use glue in the shop. When it gets a bit below freezing is when it gets uncomfortable to me. This project never did get glued and it is still holding together:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...hop-for-Gluing

My little "shop heater" may raise the temp a couple of degrees over a few hours. That is why a coat, muffler, hat and gloves come in handy.

I should take pictures of my shop, it is also a mess and is getting cleaned up. Warmed the house last night with a lot of old scraps that were never going to get used.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

And better knees. Lumber run is completed, for the next "Stage" of this build. 2x4s and a plywood 2' x4' panel are in the shop, awaiting some time with the saws....and a visit from Mr. Gumption. Took a bit of effort to haul the lumber down to the shop...Whew!

Will see how the rest of the day goes...

Still learning WHEN to use that Macro setting on the camera....sometimes they come out clear as a bell..
    DSCF0008 (640x480).jpg
    Then, I think I move just a bit too far away, and this shows up..
    DSCF0009 (640x480).jpg
    Then move again..
    DSCF0002 (640x480).jpg
    These two were used to remove the saw marks on four more blanks. Trying to get the blanks S4S..
    DSCF0003 (640x480).jpg
    All cleaned up and ready for the Stanley 45. Got a couple of them done today, then the legs went "crampy". I need to re-sharpen that sash cutter, too. I was going so fast, that the depth stop on the cutter came off! Need to slow down a bit. Have had to sweep my nice, clean floor up...twice..
    DSCF0001 (640x480).jpg
    This was just the first batch. Not all of the blanks will get a molded edge, though. The rails at the top and bottom of the sides only need one. The edge where the plywood panel sits.

need a better way to set that 45 up. Both skates are hanging in mid air. Need to shift things a bit to one side?
    DSCF0004 (640x480).jpg
    Getting a bunch of glare from the overhead light, too. Taking the rest of the night off, and letting the crampy legs heal up. There is always tomorrow.

Camera seems to be fixed up. Had to take the Stanley #45 apart, and tune up everything on it. Cutter had a "beer belly' for a bevel...now flat and honed sharp. Skates were rough, like they had been chewed on...stoned smooth and the edges tuned.
    Traded the short rods out, and installed the long rods. I could set the fence a little bit better, and keep the "binding" away..
    fence.JPG
    Set the skates a bit better, as well. A couple runs on a blank..
    first cuts.JPG
    Started the cuts in the center of the blank, and work towards the ends. Still need a couple other toys to help out.
    planes needed.JPG
    Block plane to refine the curves, shoulder plane to clean the rebate. I also ran a Millers Falls No. 11 down the center line, to clean up the tearout..
    .getting there.JPG
    getting there. I used screws to hold the blank on the edge of the bench, where nothing would hit the fence on the 45.
    planes and things.JPG
    Not all that worried about the screw holes. Tenons will take most of the holes away. I got the 4th and 5th blank done and all five laid out..
    finished rails.JPG
    Only to find out..I need one more middle rail. So, now I need to make that extra one, and SIX for the other side. Decided to at least get a start on the corner posts, as they need resawn too.
    corner post wannabees.JPG
    These will need to be 4/4 thick, by 3" wide. Might resaw one edge, and plane in from the other....Lunchbreak going on right now....stay tuned,might be some more later tonight?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    The images look a lot sharper than your old camera.

jtk

Yes they do!

I also live nearby and would be happy to help haul your dryer out if we can coordinate a time. While my back is 32 instead of 23, I have a dolly, straps, and a ramp set.
    Last edited by Jason Dean; 01-10-2017 at 4:13 PM.