Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Next project to be a little different

Next project to be a little different

Some seem to have gotten tired of the box projects I have been doing the past year.....sooo, for 2017.....I try something just a bit....different.

Something like a chest of drawers......instead of drawers ( well, MIGHT be one or two) might make it fit the boxes I've made. A way to store them out of my way. Maybe a frame and flat panel sides?

Single Brain Cell Sketch Up is currently work on the details.....meaning I intend to "sleep" on it awhile. Might have a few things in the works by the first of the year..

A friend of mine used to say that furniture consists of boxes to put stuff in and surfaces to put stuff on. Sounds like an interesting project; awaiting pictures, when the design is ready.

Thought I'd make a molding detail around the panels, using the sash cutter on my Stanley #45. The glass rebate then can hold the plywood panel in place. Wood webframes for the boxes/drawers to slide in and out on.

Ok, area for this case: There currently is an old clothes dryer in the shop ( have a new one working on the laundry) that I store a lot of boxed items on. Case will be sized to sit ON the dryer's top. Will have to take a few measurements to get the footprint. This way, I have a width and depth. There is a gas line going through overhead, and the dryer vent going out. That will give me a height goal to stay under. May extend thesides down a bit, to allow them to be attached to the old dryer's sides, to prevent it from any tipovers. Trying to make it so, IF I should move to a different shop, I can take it along as a free standing case.

Some of the old boxes may get tossed, and the contents placed in a drawer or two.

Blog Entries
    There currently is an old clothes dryer in the shop ( have a new one working on the laundry) that I store a lot of boxed items on.
    Is there a reason to save the old dryer?

Sounds like a good candidate for Craigslist.

Otherwise, take the dryer apart and use the inside space for tool storage.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Reason to save the old one? Since the drain for the basement is right beside it, and all water coming across the the goes by this spot.....yep, unless it gets 3' deep down there, things will stay dry sitting on it. Twould be too hard to move up the steps to haul it away, anyway. Soo, for now, until a crew can remove it, it will stay put. It might also serve as a source of spare parts for the current dryer.

Scrap value= $9.65 is all it would bring. Wouldn't even pay for the trip to get rid of it, nor the beer for the crew. City charges $25 to pick it up....

Costs to leave it in place? $0.00

Found three 2x4s outside. Have them drying out right now. Still have one 4x4 ( non-treated) about 4' long ~. Might have a few other bits and pieces laying around. Right now, until I get the Ok from the knee Doctor, I can not lift anything over 10 pounds. Some of the things I do in the shop are Verboten until further notice ( 5 JAN 2017) so this is an "inventory stage" to see how much lumber I'll need to buy.

Somehow, will need 4 pc @ 4/4 x 3" x 36" long. These will be the corner posts, and all else works off of them. Webframe stock will need to be made, along with the frames themselves. Have to wait and see what type of top I need to build for it, too.

Trying to get this started up. At least give people something to argue over about wood working, than what metal is being used by whom. As long as the edges of my toys...er...tools are sharp and stay that way long enough for the project at hand, I am a happy camper.

One of the things I want to try out on this build, use a Stanley #45's sash cutter. The sides of the case will be a flat panel set into a series of frames. Yep, Frame & Flat Panel. I would like to add a molding around the edges where the panels meet the frames. Thought MAYBE the sash cutter could be used. The places where the stiles and rails meet will just be a 45 degree cut. Not set up right now to do a cope & stick. Some of the parts will need a molding on both edges, as they will be between two panels. Will try to use a Mortise & Tenon to join the parts, and leave a rebate on the inside to set a panel in. Sound like a plan?

Don't have a "Sketch Up" on the computer, never got the hang of it. The one I use is inside me head, overworking a single brain cell, at that. Looking like a few "test pieces" will be needed.
    Last edited by steven c newman; 12-30-2016 at 1:01 AM.

been doing a bit of thinking....dangerous, I know. Anyway, that dryer will soon be history. The Walnut Tool Chest #1 is also scheduled to be removed from the shop. Will clean it out, air it out, and set it upstairs as a Blanket/Hope Chest. Dryer will go for salvage money, I take a look at the motor to see IF I can save it. Plane and brace tills will be on the move, trading spaces with the three benchtop tools. Mainly because I am tired of a water line dripping on my planes.

Chest of drawers will now be 5-6 drawers. I'll set it on blocks to keep it's feet high and dry. Nothing real fancy, just a Pine Chest of drawers. Might even have space on top to stash a few wooden boxes? Hoping all of this gives me a wee bit more elbow room. Will need to start milling a few boards later this week. And find out how much lumber I'll need. #2 pine.....a 1 x 6 x 8" should yield one drawer. I hope. top ones might be a bit thinner in height.

Sound like a better plan?

Sounds like your "knee time" has resulted in some brain cooking. How will you get the dryer out of the basement? Disassemble it?
    David

I happen to know a couple fellows with 23 year old backs. The dryer came down the steps, it can go right back up them.

Exactly the way it should be done, Steven. For our last move, we hired a couple youngins' to move stuff out of the basement. One kid grabbed the dryer with both arms, hugged it to his chest, and carried it on his own up the stairs and out the door.
    Oh, to be young again.

Managed to get a few pictures of what is going on down there.......welcome to my world....
    dryer.jpg
    That back there is the dryer that has to leave, the washer and dryer off to the left are the Laundry Room of the Boss. I am not allowed to touch them. I have to watch how tall I get with any new storage..
    gas meter.jpg
    A Dryer vent through the old window, as there wasn't a vent before. That be a Gas Meter hanging there, as well. I may add a rack to the side of the new storage to hold the clamps.
    tool chest 1.jpg
    This will need to go as well. Just collections "junk" and other items. Once clean and spiffified up, it will make someone a nice Blanket/Hope Chest. I intend to move the plane and the brace tills to a new location....as soon as the Three Amigos leave
    three Amigos.jpg
    These three will go where the tills were. I'll need to install a power strip on that North bench, some I no longer have to drape a cord across the workbench.
    Thanks to the gas meter and that vent, the saws will just have to hang out here, for now..
    saw till.jpg
    Have a crowded space I need to re-arrange, as well..
    crowded.jpg
    Thinking the Tool Chest #2 could turn around, and slide under the lathe's bench. I could bring the Mitre saw Bench out away from the wall, and back it against the workbench. The rest of the little tools can go against the wall, along with this old guy..
    WorkMate.jpg
    As most of the tools on it, other than the fixed sanding center, will find a drawer to hide in.

Thursday is a follow up on the knee, maybe i hope, I can get started by this weekend on the remodel job. Hope Igor hasn't gone on strike, again...

If I may ask, what are the dimensions of your shop?
    David

Quote Originally Posted by steven c newman View Post
    That back there is the dryer that has to leave, the washer and dryer off to the left are the Laundry Room of the Boss. I am not allowed to touch them. I have to watch how tall I get with any new storage..
    gas meter.jpg.
    My boss would never put up with that situation for more than a day or two. I think we identified your next project as a proper laundry room!

Just about what you see in the pictures...very small.