Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: If you could only buy one... Bandsaw or tablesaw?

If you could only buy one... Bandsaw or tablesaw?

If you could only buy one powertool, what would it be?

bandsaw or tablesaw? I have had no power tools for about 8 years now (except a skilsaw, reciprocating saw, dremel... Not really "power" tools.

Which is the most versatile.? things to think about... Resawing, miters, ripping sheet stock, curve cuts, all kinds of jigs for both.

I am all neander for the moment. Thinking about getting back into a few powertools.

Thoughts?

dan
    Building my own Legos!

That's a hard question. Both saws have their respective places in the shop. Resaw, I would have to go with the bandsaw. The table saw would be limited to small thicknesses. Curves, bandsaw hands down. Sheet goods, table saw. Although if you had a good skilsaw and some type of rail system, you could cut sheet goods with it. Miters, table saw with a good jig. I went without a good bandsaw for several years but since I bought my 14" Rikon, I don't think I could do without either one any more. That being said, outside of resawing, you could still get by with a good jig saw.

I don't have a universal answer Dan. Like so many things, which is most versatile will be tied to the things you build and how you like to woodwork. For example, you can do most everything you described except curves, on a tablesaw and more - rabbets, dados, etc. But if what you love to build is bandsaw boxes (often curvy) or do a lot of wide resawing, it's not quite versatile enough. OTOH, if you buy a bandsaw, it won't do rabbets and dados - which may not be an issue if you are still able/willing to do them by hand or also buy a router. Sheet goods - again, if you use a lot of them, you might want to supplement your bandsaw with a tracksaw.

In my shop, I had a tablesaw before a bandsaw. And it got used a lot. But now that I have a bandsaw, it gets most of the workout, because I'm no longer building large things from sheetgoods. Plus I cut alot of my small joinery by hand. But I'm still darn glad to have that tablesaw.

So I'd think about what you like to build and how you like to build it - how much do you want to conutinue doing by hand, what tasks do you do most often that would benefit from a power tool, etc.

Good luck,
    Fred
    Last edited by Frederick Skelly; 12-26-2016 at 6:29 AM.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

My tablesaw gets a lot more use than my bandsaw. So I say tablesaw.

5. For my work the band saw wins easily, but it depends on what you build and how you choose to build it. I'd guess that for most people the table saw would be used more.

My 2 cents is ..... table saw.
    "When the horse is dead, GET OFF."

Tablesaw for sure

It all depends on what type of work you do, but that being said, if you have a skilsaw you can make a simple table saw, so between the two, that would push the band saw up to the top.In my own case, I my dad gave me his old Delta Rockwell table saw and jointer combo machine so that's where I started.I've bought machines as deals cane up on them rather than targeting a specific machine as my next goal.
    "Live like no one else, so later, you can LIVE LIKE NO ONE ELSE!"
    - Dave Ramsey

Blog Entries
    I build mostly cabinets and other things that make a table saw essential. If I were primarily a wood turner, then a band saw would probably be higher on my list than a table saw. For precise work, you can't beat a table saw. It also excels at cutting sheet goods. A band saw does curves well and can be used for resawing. Making precise crosscuts and angles is not part of its vocabulary.

If I could only have one, it would be a table saw. Fortunately I have both tools in my shop.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Blog Entries
    Table saw, mine gets used 10x as much as my BS. I could do without a BS but not a TS.
    NOW you tell me...

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Wiggins View Post
    It all depends on what type of work you do...
    This ^^^^ and I will add, "What's your budget?". This is like a chocolate-or-vanilla-ice-cream-type question: Nobody will be abe to give you a meaningful answer unless we know what you like and why you like it.

Erik

20 inch bandsaw with a Woodmaster ct for me.I work with solid wood very little plywood.
    Aj

If you are going to continue to primarily be a "Neander" and work predominantly with hand tools, the bandsaw is a very versatile time saver to have in your shop for rough cutting prior to working with your blades, etc. But the bottom line remains...what do you want to do with your woodworking?
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

West Central Alberta, East of the Rockies - West of the Rest
    It depends, a jigsaw could complement a tablesaw as well as a circular saw could complement a bandsaw.
    If you're planning to work a lot with sheet goods then the tablesaw wins otherwise ..., only you can answer that question.

Totally depends on the kind of work you do as others have mentioned. I do pretty much everything so I can't be without either ever! The TS gets the most use for sure.