Thread: triangle shaped screw head, anybody seen this before?

triangle shaped screw head, anybody seen this before?

I need to put a longer cord on a new water kettle. The three screws that hold the present cord in place have a triangle shape to the head. My Phillips, etc. screwdrivers won't fit at all. My last resort it to grind one of my "old" screw drivers to the shape of the triangle and then I'll be prepared for this whenever I meet it again. The only problem is I don't have any screwdrivers I want to sacrifice. I love all my tools. But LOML wants a longer cord and if I have to I guess I will. If anybody has run into this before, and has some suggestions, I would love to hear it/them. Help! Thanks!
    Real American Heros don't wear Capes, they wear Dogtags.

Google "triangle screw head" and you'll find what you need.

Or why not tag on an extension cord to get the length she wants?

Sure. If you google electronic repair toolkits you'll find kits that include driver bits for all of the weird screws you find in doing electronic and appliance repair. Very handy to have if you do much tinkering or ever need to take a laptop or phone apart. Here's an example: https://www.ifixit.com/Store/Parts/6...-Kit/IF145-299

They use those on a fair bit of kids toys. I took some older screwdrivers and reground the tips to fit. So I can fix my kids toys and change batteries, etc in the ones that are not supposed to be "fixed".
    Andrew J. Coholic

Didn't realize the triangle screw head was so common. Easier to fix than I thought. Thanks for the help and guidance people!
    Real American Heros don't wear Capes, they wear Dogtags.

It's a tri-wing screw. The driver is usually available at an electronics supply house, or it will come with a set of "security" drivers. There are many sizes, just like a philips.
    They're pretty common. Sears, Harbor Freight, etc should have them.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

HF sells a set of "security bits" for less than ten bucks, less the usual 20% of coupon.

I read this, I have no personal experience...security screws in prisons are removed by the inmates with a plastic toothbrush. Melt the end of the handle in a lighter, jam it onto the screw to cool, then remove the screw. Custom made screwdriver.