Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Source for hardware to keep fish tank doors open

Source for hardware to keep fish tank doors open

This is one a strange request, but one that has stumped me.

I have a large fish tank at home. To access the top of the tank for cleaning and feeding, there are 5 hardwood doors that can be propped open by these plastic and metal catches. They are similar to chest hinges, but the forces go in a different direction. These have to support the entire weight of the doors, not partially as occurs with typical window seats, chests, etc...

Here's some pictures of the present hardware:

IMG_0255.JPGIMG_0256.JPGIMG_0257.JPG

The problem is that the doors are rather heavy, and I haven't found a hinge system designed to hold that weight in that direction.

If someone knows a source for the original plastic and metal stays that are presently on the doors, that would be OK too, but I can't figure out what they are called, much less find a source for them.

Thanks.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

Try Leevalley, these might be what you are looking for.
    http://www.leevalley.com/en/Hardware...419,43745&ap=1

Interesting, but I don't think those can handle the weight. In their normal configuration, most of the weight is sitting on the normal hinges, not supported by the flap stay.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off

How about gas springs? They use them to hold the hoods, deck lids, and hatch lids open on cars today. You would need some kind of latch to keep them closed though.
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.

Blog Entries
    Just look up "flip up door hardware" on google. All kinds..
    https://images.search.yahoo.com/yhs/...&hsimp=yhs-003

BTW, I had tried one of these. A pain to install on a ladder in the cabinet, and, as it turned out, couldn't support the weight. Perhaps a pair of them could have, but again a pain to install. Needed to add wood blocks.

http://www.hardwaresource.com/hinges...e-up-opening-1

IMG_0258.JPG
    Last edited by Alan Lightstone; 12-26-2016 at 5:08 PM.

There are a lot of different options. You can try these, which come in different weights, or these, which are positive locking.

Rockler makes a chest hinge called Lid Stay Torsion hinges or something like that. They are for toy chests and stay in position when the lid is moved. Not cheap but work very well. You order based upon the weight of the lid.

Just a thought.. you could make a 1x1 sliding support mounted inside to the top of the cabinet that pulls out to hold the door open, much like the supports in a drop front desk design. You would just need one at the center of each door, it would not need to be very fancy or heavy duty.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Tell me about your tank, looks like a yellow tang, purple tang, long nose butterfly ( or some kind of butterfly - copperband maybe ), huma huma trigger and maybe a red hawkfish? Been many years since I had my tanks up and running, mini reef and fowlr, still mis it. Maybe some day as both tanks are setting empty. Sorry I can't help with the hinges, my reef was ghetto with an open top, metal halides put out a lot of heat. I envy your set up.

I like these: Delta Lid stay

They install easily and are adjustable for tension.

Quote Originally Posted by Kim Gibbens View Post
    Tell me about your tank, looks like a yellow tang, purple tang, long nose butterfly ( or some kind of butterfly - copperband maybe ), huma huma trigger and maybe a red hawkfish? Been many years since I had my tanks up and running, mini reef and fowlr, still mis it. Maybe some day as both tanks are setting empty. Sorry I can't help with the hinges, my reef was ghetto with an open top, metal halides put out a lot of heat. I envy your set up.
    The fish vary, as, sadly, they don't last forever. Huma trigger, clown trigger, long nosed hawkfish, a school of various anthias, saddle butterfly, heniochus, several wrasses, majestic angelfish (my favorite), and many others I'm forgetting.

The tank is 1000 gal, and weighs over 6 tons, so there are some challenges. That access door is 8 feet in the air, so you're fighting with it on a ladder. Thus the need for an easy solution that doesn't hit you on the head.

Could you switch to a french cleat hanging design and just remove the door when cleaning?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Heidrick View Post
    Could you switch to a french cleat hanging design and just remove the door when cleaning?
    That's an interesting idea. If it hadn't been working the old way for a long time, I might jump at that.