Thread: Oneida V3000 DC Reduced sound by about 10db

Oneida V3000 DC Reduced sound by about 10db

Setting up my new dust collector and was quite surprised at the sound level. Using logSPL app on my phone I measured 84-85 db at 10 ft.

This is was much louder than I wanted to work with, most of the noise seemed to be just wind coming from the filter. At first I was going to relocate my filter to a corner of the shop away from where I work. Called Oneida and they told me that was a viable plan, about 15 foot run using 7" snap lock pipe. Anyway when running the ductwork I decided to try exhausting outdoors. In doing this the sound was reduced to about 78 db. I then insulated the duct on the exhaust side and got a further 3-4 db reduction. The sound level is at 74-75 db at 10 ft. The insulation I used was Guardian EZ Wrap 2" thickness.

So at present I have to open a window for the make up air. Looking for ideas or suggestions for something permanent, pictures of your setups would be great.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Dennis. you might want to take a look at the ClearVue forum on noise reduction as some users have the same conclusion as you - insulating the outlet to the filter gives the biggest reduction. There's also another thread in this forum related to noise levels and sound reduction techniques. Look for Dust Collector Closets