Thread: Dust Deputy to 4" DC

Dust Deputy to 4" DC

I am going to buy a 2 hp dust collector this week and plan on putting my Dust Deputy inline before the DC. The DD has 2.5" ports and the DC has a 4" inlet. Is this going to work or will I be restricting the air flow too much? I have been using the DD with my shop vac and it works ok but I need more flow for some of my tools. Opinions please.

Depends what your tools are, Steve. I would not recommend throttling the duct size on a small dust collector, especially as your goal is to increase flow. General practice is to try and keep the duct size at least the same as the collector's inlet all the way to the tool and then use a gradual reducer. If you can spring for it, there are plenty of users on this forum and elsewhere that have modded a 2HP DC with a Super Dust Deputy and Wynn filter. I did the same and use a 6 inch main duct to maximize flow. Not as good as a purpose built ClearVue or Oneida V system but works for me.

DCs move a lot more air than shop vacs but they pull against resistance much worse too. I think the dust deputy is too small and will introduce too much resistance to result in an effective system - but you can try it. I think you need a super dust deputy for even a fairly small DC.

That would not work well. I put a Super Dust Deputy XL in front of my 2HP DC and it works great but that one has 6" ports. Very little swarf gets through to the DC, itself.

Look for a version of the Dust Deputy with at least 4" ports.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

At one point I tried this approach to a Dewalt 733 planer. Total fail. Super Dust Deputy works great. Only issue would be the 5" connection from the SDD. Sometimes tricky to get a good fit. 6" from SDD to DC. Your DC should have a collar on the inlet that comes off and shows a 5 or 6" port.
    Mike

The Dust Deputy you have is designed for shop vac use and yes, that restriction will kill your airflow. Dust collection works by moving a volume of air at relatively low pressure, so the larger the duct/DC inlet/impeller, the more air is moved and in turn, the more dust and debris is moved. You can use a pre-separator with any DC, but keep in mind that small DC systems have limited air low already and are best suited to close and direct connection to a tool.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I have a 2hp Craftex CX400, (Grizzly G0548Z) with advertised CFM of 1700. (I know, I know) 6" flex to the metal SDD. 5" expanding to 6" snap lock ducting. Two branches. One is about 2' before going to about 6' of 6" flex. This branch reduces to 4" at the machines, table saw, 8" planer and 6X89" edge sander. Other branch goes about 15' with two slow 90 degree bends before going to 8' of 6" flex. this serves my 20" planer (5"), my SCMS, spindle sander and bandsaw with 4" ports. Unscientific measuring of air flow ranges from 550 to 900 CFM. Is it enough? No. Is it adequate? Yes. Good enough for me.
    Mike

Do a google search on Thien baffle dust collector. I built one (very easy to do) and it does a very good job of separating the sawdust and chips and doesn't seem to impact airflow very much.