Thread: LN 4 1/2 conversion

LN 4 1/2 conversion

I have a LN #4 1/2 HAF that is a favorite plane for difficult wood.

IMG_7797.jpg
    I love the plane but I also really like the tote (on the right) from the LN #8. Slightly taller and and different horn.

IMG_7783.jpg
    LN generously investigated whether the two totes were a direct swap, but they're not. They do have replacement totes available though so I'm going to try converting mine to the #8 tote.

IMG_7786.jpg
    The LN #4 1/2 has a boss where the screw joins the body. I'd tell you what the LN #8 body looks like but I don't have one.

IMG_7788.jpg
    Looks like modifying the LN #8 tote to a #4 1/2 style tote is possible. An 11/16" forstner bit is a perfect fit. I just need to drill a relief on the #8 tote for the boss on the #4 1/2 body.

The conversion from the standard LN #4 1/2 tote to a LN #8 tote went pretty easy.

IMG_7789.jpg

Lined the two totes up based on the forward screw hole and for my totes, the two dimples on the bottom of both totes. Rear screw hole is angled so not the best option to align totes.

Penciled in forward and aft limits of the 11/16" hole. Then drew a rough center line.

IMG_7790.jpg

Placed #8 tote into hand clamps, leveled base of the tote perpendicular to forstner bit.

IMG_7794.jpg

Drilled to match hole depth of 4 1/2 tote.
    IMG_7798.jpg
    Looks the same now. The LN #8 is on the right.

IMG_7800.jpg

The LN #8 tote installed. It gives more clearance for the little finger at bottom and also the top of the hand. The #8 has a slightly narrower profile.

IMG_7799.jpg
    The type of tear out that LN HAF works great on.