Thread: My upgrade

My upgrade

Modified the upgrade of my Nova 1624-44 lathe. Did not like the long stretch to reach the controls. Rotated the motor and moved the controller. I lake it much better than the original configuration.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    C&C WELCOME

Nice idea. I may steal this when my upgrade arrives. Off topic question, a bed extension is forseen in my future, do you ever wish you had the swing away joint or would you say that the tailstock moves plenty far back with the extension and the hinge is a waste of money? I'm leaning towards a waste of money at this point. Thank you.
    USMC '97-'01

Adam. There is one good way to answer that question. Get the bed extension and work with it. Then you can order the swing away if you decide you need it. I am doing OK with just the extension.
    C&C WELCOME

Nice job. Did you just drill a couple holes in the red cover to mount it in top. Does it vibrate much?

To mount the controller, use the present bracket to mark hole spacing on the top of the cast head stock. Suggest that the first hole be placed in the near left corner as you face the lathe. drill and thread for 1/4" 1/2" course thread screw. Second hole diagonally back and to the right, make sure the red door is able to fully open. This should provide a good view and access to controls and spindle lock. Due to short wires rotate the motor clock wise, file down ends of two fins to provide clearance for belt lock. All this requires motor removal. Call me if you would like.
    C&C WELCOME

No vibration problems.
    C&C WELCOME

I purchased the swing away a year or so ago but I did debate between the extension vs the swing for a while. Like others, I was simply looking for a convenient way to move the hailstorm out of the way. I do believe it is a tomato/tomato question unless you do have to answer the question of whether you need the extra length or need to solve the same question with a smaller solution. All that aside, however, and while the swing works for my work I'm still looking for a used bed extension for the right price down the road.

Good thoughts John. I have an extension for longer one piece walking sticks and long rocking chair spindles.
    C&C WELCOME

Thanks for the info Allan. I might change mine in the future.

Thanks for the replies regarding the extension and swing-away. I think I'll just look at the extension first. I don't do a lot of spindle work, but there are some projects I want to try that need more length. Didn't mean to hijack, I look forward to having a setup like yours.
    USMC '97-'01

Allan, I really like your idea. It is a long reach to the controls when mounted on the motor. I also like the view from your lathe.