Thread: Picture Posting

Picture Posting

I have not been able to post pictures on this forum for awhile. I tried using Photobucket and that has not worked. I am guessing it is the size of the photo, too many pixels. Well I can post on all the other forums I am on with no problem. I am not high tech and would guess a lot of other members are not either. Unless someone can explain an easy way to resize photos my participation will be limited.

Brian, most sites have some sort of image resizing software but even then there are limits as to what they can do. If you think your images are too large (and if straight from your camera, they are), there are a number of free programs out there that can resize your images. First program I can think of is Pixresizer and worth trying. It is very simple to use and if you had any questions on it, I am sure any number of us here would be able to assist.
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

What operating system are you using?
    If windows, then microsoft offers a resizer that works in the file manager - makes smaller versions w/o damaging the original. Search microsoft.com for "image resizer".
    Personally, in windows, I prefer using Irfanview, a viewer that allows for many changes to be made to images and is completely free, no ads, nothing.
    If you are using apple, then a quick search through the store will give you lots of ideas.
    Mike
    From the workshop under the staircase, Clinton Township, MI
    Semper Audere!

Brian,

For whatever reason when I'm using IE to access SMC, I cannot start a thread or reply to a thread with a picture or a link. Those options/icons don't appear on the screen. The only thing I can do is start or reply with text, just as I'm doing now.

I'm able to get around this by using Firefox or Chrome as the browser.......after I've re-sized the image. Not sure if that's your problem or not but if so, try a different browser.
    Member Turners Anonymous Pittsburgh, PA

David,

All I use is IE and have no problems starting or replying to a thread or posting a photo after I resize a photo.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post
    David,

All I use is IE and have no problems starting or replying to a thread or posting a photo after I resize a photo.
    Ken,

I'm using Windows 7 and the way I hear it there can be some handshake issues between W7+IE and vBulletin. This goes back a couple years for me. I just don't get the various icons (insert link, image etc.) to appear above the text box. Tried to get this straight with (I think Allen) but never got to the bottom of it so I just use a different browser whenever I need those functions.

Dave
    Member Turners Anonymous Pittsburgh, PA

I am using Windows 7 and Chrome for a browser. I am going to look into Irfanview.
    Thank you for the replies.

Blog Entries
    Windows live photo gallery that comes free with Windows 7 and higher has a resize feature built in. It will resize your photos to a smaller size that can be uploaded to SMC.
    live.JPG
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

I use Windows 7 and Windows Resizer. It works great and easy.

I thought that Keith and Aaron implemented auto-sizing on the forum a number of years ago...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Jim,

Auto-sizing is enabled here but it won't adjust very large files, mostly because we don't want them to be uploaded consuming major bandwidth. If the file is just over the limit our server will make the adjustment. Trust me we have had hundreds of people try to upload 25 meg pictures here, and often they are trying to send 5 of them at a time.

Everyone here is sharing one pipe, most of you have more bandwidth than we have on our server. Remember we pay commercial rates for our bandwidth which is considerably more expensive, but its a guaranteed CIR.

I am very proud of myself. I have managed to resize images that are up loadable to the site using Micosoft Office Picture Manager.
    Big trick is to export the image with a new file name. That allows the original image to remain.
    Last edited by Brian Brightwell; 01-30-2017 at 11:02 AM.