Greeting All,

Frequent reader and infrequent contributor here at the creek, I always enjoy what you all post so I'm getting started early on my New Year resolution to post more

Nothing informative, just sharing my disappointment that I lost this nice piece of ambrosia maple. I've gotten a few fantastic natural edge bowls from this tree but I've also fought ring shake issues and lost a couple more bowls to that problem. I grabbed a HF blank that I had sitting around and decided to work on it during my Christmas vacation from work. Unfortunately as soon as I started getting the form worked out a fine crack appeared down 3/4 of the piece. I decided to keep working on it, partially because I need practice with the Jamison captured hollowing rig I got for Christmas LAST year and haven't worked with a lot and partially because I thought I could save the piece. Well I got my practice with the jig but the crack expanded and got more severe after I hollowed 1/3 of the way down. No point continuing I guess..I could get creative with treatments for the crack but I'm not a fan of chunks of wood flying around the shop unchecked and this thing is looking to detonate on me.

At least the wood was free

RingShakeVase2.jpg

RingShakeVase.jpg

Peter