Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Jet JBS motor

As far replacing the motor goes I would check with JET first and see what kind of price they give you.
    Next I would look at Grizzly and see if they have something cheaper that would work,
    http://www.grizzly.com/search?q=(categoryid:275020)
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Barris View Post
    Thanks for the offer Peter if I was anywhere close I would come after it but I am in Ohio.
    Check with both Greyhound and Fastenal to see what it would cost to ship motor. Most people don't know that they have this service. Could motor be broken down so as to fit in a couple flat rate boxes from USPS?

http://www.surpluscenter.com/Electri...OR-10-1026.axd

If I was buying a new motor for that saw this is what I would buy.

I don't know how good this one is, but Harbor Freight has a 1HP a bit less expensive.

And here's a Leeson below $200.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wrenn View Post
    Check with both Greyhound and Fastenal to see what it would cost to ship motor. Most people don't know that they have this service. Could motor be broken down so as to fit in a couple flat rate boxes from USPS?
    I went on line and found a place to compare rates. Actually FedEx was the cheapest. Shipped from a Seattle zip code to here was $55.00. I was surprised. Problem is it would really inconvenience Pete because he would have to find a strong box to ship it in and then travel to a shipping center. So far I found one at Grizzly that will work at the best price.
    I really appreciate everyone's help and suggestions, this is a very good forum.

Bob

Used motors are everywhere. Check CL and see what is out there. Now is the time to upgrade. On a band saw, mounting is no big deal. is your old motor a 56 frame? If not check this chart: http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/ne...ns-d_1504.html
    and find one that will fit. You may need a new pulley, but that would be about it. I suspect your old motor is a 1725 rpm. They will be a little larger and a little more expensive.

I put a mice Leeson 2 hp on ome of my lathes for $100. Got the motor on CL.

CPeter

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Barris View Post
    I went on line and found a place to compare rates. Actually FedEx was the cheapest. Shipped from a Seattle zip code to here was $55.00. I was surprised. Problem is it would really inconvenience Pete because he would have to find a strong box to ship it in and then travel to a shipping center. So far I found one at Grizzly that will work at the best price.
    I really appreciate everyone's help and suggestions, this is a very good forum.

Bob
    Far a few more bucks, let Fed Ex box it for you. Simply drop off at Fed Ex/ Kinkos and they will box it for you. Will it fit into a five gallon bucket with lid? Add some scraps of foam to prevent shifting, or place motor in garbage bag, and "Great Stuff" it into place for shipping
    Last edited by Bruce Wrenn; 01-01-2017 at 9:02 PM.

I found a rebuilt 2 HP at a good price I am thinking about that. It draws 18 amps so I may have to upgrade the switch and wiring. The base might be a problem mine is a 56 and the 2 horse is a 56c and I don't know what the difference is, I looked at the chart but it is blank in one column so I am not sure.

A C frame motor is a flange mount motor, like most dust collectors use. It may or may not have the mounting foot you need for your bandsaw.

Dang it I better check it out. Thanks John.