Thread: Will A Dust Deputy Suck The Chips From A Powermatic 100 With At Rigid Shop Vac

Will A Dust Deputy Suck The Chips From A Powermatic 100 With At Rigid Shop Vac

I have a Powermatic 100 Planer in my garage that makes a mess when planning. I would opt for a small wall mounted vacuum system, but wall space is pretty scarce. My cheapest route would be to purchase a Dust Deputy off Ebay, for like $58 with free shipping and attach it to a metal garbage can. I have a couple 14 Gallon Ridgid shop vacs that I would like to connect to the Dust Deputy. Those who own and have experience with a Dust Deputy...Do you think there will be enough suction to pick up the Powermatic 100? I have the factor dust hood for the machine, so I would have to naturally step down to the proper hose size, I think the outlet for the Powermatic dust hood is 6". I also have a Shark Guard on my General 350 that I would like to use with the dust Deputy.

All advise is appreciated!

Eric

My guess is the Ridgid lacks the raw CFM to pull all the dust and chips away. The DD just keeps the debris from plugging the vac's filter and maintaining full suction from the vac. The package will certainly help verses running vac-less although there's no free lunch here.
    Mac

I agree, you'll be limited by the Rigid vac. I tried pairing my old Craftsmen vac with a 12" Delta bench top planer. It helped but wasn't great.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

The dust deputy actually costs you some CFM if you assume the filter is clean in both cases. It is very much worth putting on, however, because your filter will have to be cleaned a lot more without it. And a dirty filter costs more CFM than the dust deputy.

I haven't tried my rigid vac/dust deputy combination on my planner or jointer. My planner is an old AP-10 - 10 inches wide. I don't have the metal chute that hooks to a vacuum or DC but could modify the normal one. I haven't done it because I don't think the shop vac will get the planner shavings very well. I used to use a 1 hp DC on my jointer and it couldn't keep up. My jointer is an old Inca that is 8 5/8 wide. I sweep up after the planner and jointer. I might add a DC someday but the shop vac will get most of the dust from my other tools and that is OK for now.

Good responses so far...and the more I think about the more I agree the Rigid isn't going to be strong enough. I may have to run a tap off my cyclone collector in my main shop to the garage and perhaps purchase one of those flex hoses from Rockler.

I"ve had my Dust Deputy combined with a 14 gallon Shop Vac that has worked well with both my Delta 6" jointer and my DeWalt planer.

Quote Originally Posted by David Powell View Post
    I"ve had my Dust Deputy combined with a 14 gallon Shop Vac that has worked well with both my Delta 6" jointer and my DeWalt planer.
    Keep in mind the Dewalt has a blower which helps a great deal.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

I have a dust deputy connected to a large Ridgid 16 gal. shop vac. That combination works great on the router table, sanders, etc, but is very disappointing at chip collection from my portable DeWalt 734 planer. It may just be that the dust hood design is poor on that tool, but with 2-1/2" hoses, I expected it to be much better. Oh how I miss my Oneida V3000 and 6" ducting from my last shop.
    Dick Mahany.

It will suck the chips out AFTER you have turned PM 100 off. For planers and jointers, you need CFM's and lots of them. Look at Phil Thien's baffle, instead of DD. You are still going to need something that can produce a lot of of CFM's

Don't know about a Powermatic planer but I use a Ridgid 5PH connected to a Dust Deputy with a 32 gallon drum. I have just started using it but so far it works a lot better than nothing. It's connected to my Dewalt 733 planer, Ridgid jointer and Delta table saw. I expected to have chips left over in the hose but it's been clear.
    Kevin

I normally use my 2 HP cyclone unit while planing and it works great but it does fill up my 40 gallon can fast. Just for kicks I tried my Festool CT22 with a Dust Deputy on a 5 gallon can. This is with the Delta 13" planer. It did collect chips but no way could it keep up and the 36mm hose kept plugging. This resulted in chips getting trapped in the planer causing divots in the wood as they couldn't be evacuated fast enough.
    I guess if the Ridid is what you have then that is what you will use. You just need to go slow, keep emptying the can and watch for divots. Really this would be best used for sanding, miter saw and other portable tool usage that produce wood dust, not chips.

The rigid wont work well with the planer, but will work great with a 2 1/2 in hose connected to the shark guard on a general 350. For overhead collection. Ideally you'd also collect dust from underneath the general 350 with a 4-6 in hose connected to a bigger dust collector at the same time.
    Last edited by Mark Carlson; 01-02-2017 at 8:44 PM.