Thread: Shop Vac Wireless Remote Control

Shop Vac Wireless Remote Control

I'm looking for a wireless remote control for my Ridgid 16 Gal, 12 Amp shop vac. I had two FastCap controls. One for this vac and one more for a smaller vac that I keep attached to my bandsaw. The Fastcap units are junk. Both had the vac plugs welded inside the control units. I had to break them apart to remove the plugs. I complained to Fastcap.

This is the response:

> I am so sorry that this has happened to you with both units. We are
    > aware of the issues with the RCV's sold during that time period. The
    > RCV's sold at that time were rated for 10amps, and that was not enough
    > amperage for them to function properly with many pieces of shop
    > equipment. Since that time, we have changed them to a 15amp model that
    > has not had an issue with shorting out. We have also changed
    > production facilities so the ones we have in stock now are made a
    > facility with better quality control than the units released with 10 amps.
    >

They shipped me two replacements. After about 2 months of medium use, the one on the larger vac will not turn on. The smaller vac (on the bandsaw) gets very little use, but the remote buttons haven't worked reliably since I got the new replacement. Normally, I like FastCap products, but these are pure Chinese Junk.

I've scanned Amazon and a bunch of large tool suppliers, but I can't find anything that looks decent. Any good suggestions for a reliable unit?

Last year right after Christmas, I picked up two 15A units at Lowes meant for Christmas lights or whatever. Closeout for about $8 each, if I remember. Haven't gotten around to hooking them up yet.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

I am adverse to making a recommendation as many of these units have seen the exact same teething problems. I have had good luck with the CURRENT iVac system BUT I am using the contactor.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

I've been using this one on my ShopVac for about a year, no problems:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Says it's rated for 10 amps. I'm no electrician, but the vac goes on and off and the house hasn't burned down.

Edit: Oops, just noticed you need 12 amps. Never mind.

I've used the "Long Ranger" remote on my shop vac for years now. A lot of the time I am still using the vac in a tool-actuated state , when I am sanding, routing or using my domino,while connected to the vac. Never had any issues with it. It's rated for 20A. Recently purchased a new one foe a friend and it appears to still be the same unit, ( doesn't appear to be cheapened yet), and he has been happy with his since putting it into service.

it will definitely cost you more to purchase, but you seem to get your money's worth

Good luck

Clint

Quote Originally Posted by Van Huskey View Post
    I am adverse to making a recommendation as many of these units have seen the exact same teething problems. I have had good luck with the CURRENT iVac system BUT I am using the contactor.
    I'm using the iVac system successfully, without the contactor; but I bought the 20 amp switch and only have a 1hp collector (6.5A) attached to it. I find it to be super convenient, and it makes sure I actually use the dust collection system. I have a cyclone in my future plans, so will need to upgrade to a contactor for it.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Potter View Post
    Last year right after Christmas, I picked up two 15A units at Lowes meant for Christmas lights or whatever. Closeout for about $8 each, if I remember. Haven't gotten around to hooking them up yet.
    Yes, this. If you want to go on the cheap grab a few at the after-Xmas clearance). Mine have been running for several years but, run lower powered items (my ambient cleaner, maybe 6 amps and a lighting array of about 100watts total). Of course in America's race to the bottom the currently available units could be of a lower quality.

I have one of the older (i-socket, I think) units for 110v/15a use that Woodcraft put their badge on. It has been in near daily use on a 1HP dust collector for over 13 years.
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 12-29-2016 at 10:44 AM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I have a FastCap unit on my shop vac cart and have had not problems with it.

Doc
    As Cort would say: Fools are the only folk on the earth who can absolutely count on getting what they deserve.

Does it have to be wireless? What about an automatic controller like the iSocket (LINK)? Ive been using those for a couple years. Have one controlling the dedicated Shop-Vac for my drill press dust collection system and used to use one for my handheld power tools dust collection until I made the switch to the Festool system.
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

Quote Originally Posted by Clint Baxter View Post
    I've used the "Long Ranger" remote on my shop vac for years now.
    I'll give one of these a try. The bonus is that Amazon says it will deliver today. I'll report back.

thanks all....

I have been using the remote at this link. They control my contactor on my DC, my 6.5 hp RIDGID shop vac, 4 sets of 4' LED shop lights and several small fans. Works well.
    Mike

I use a DGC products autoswitch on my shop vac/dust deputy combination. I have a power strip plugged into the autoswitch and several tools plugged to the autoswitch. So I have to move hoses but not power cords. When I turn the tool on, the vac comes on. I use it with my Ryobi BT3100 table saw which pulls 15A. I am not sure what my Hitachi 12 inch CMS pulls but it is up there too. Switch works fine. And the shop vac and tools work on one 20 A circuit. This autoswitch costs about $40.

Blog Entries
    Gerry, build your own! You can use the Christmas light remote to turn on a heavy duty high amp switch. There was a guy on this blog who published with pictures on how to do it. It cost me about $60-$70. Can't remember where I put the downloaded info.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Landel View Post
    Gerry, build your own! You can use the Christmas light remote to turn on a heavy duty high amp switch. There was a guy on this blog who published with pictures on how to do it. It cost me about $60-$70. Can't remember where I put the downloaded info.
    IO have used this unit for years with no issues but its a little pricy.

http://www.busybeetools.com/products...10v-15amp.html

Blog Entries
    Ben Young, The busybeetools looks identical to the Rockler version I ran through two of them. They could not handle my Delta 1 1/2 HP dust collector without burning up. They cost less from Rockler in the States at least a few yrs ago.

The do it yourself version has a much better "contactor" 120 or 220volt up to 40 amps.

If I wasn't lazy I would find the link. It is on this site!

I just looked it up:

http://waterheatertimer.org/Install.htmledit (The better site is no longer available.)

This site will give you the idea. You can sub 120 volt for the 220 volt in the diagram. You want a 2 pole 40 amp contactor to turn on your dust collector. You use one of the Christmas lights remotes to activate (turn on and off) the contactor. My unit plugs into two 120 outlets. If you can't figure it out contact me. I will scan to the diagram and picture I have.
    Last edited by Bob Landel; 12-30-2016 at 11:04 PM. Reason: add info