Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why so few avatars?

Blog Entries

Why so few avatars?

Just wondering why so few folks use Avatars here on the Creek? I like my orange one as I can scan a page and quickly find my post.

Edit: see post# 19 for help on creating and posting an Avatar.
    Bruce
    Last edited by Bruce Page; 12-30-2016 at 4:52 PM. Reason: Added note

Cant find anything "cool enough". Dave Weaver and I once joked about me using something from Dr. Strangelove, but I never found a pic I thought would be recognizable in a very small avatar block. Might have to give that another try.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Ole, I didn't see your avatar until I searched around and found that seeing avatars wasn't enabled in my settings. Not sure if that was a default setting or something I had deselected at some time. I turned it on to see if I like it. Never thought about it until you posted.

Mine is watching for all of you
    "... for when we become in heart completely poor, we at once are the treasurers & disbursers of enormous riches."
    WQJudge

I love avatars. I take lots of pics, and when I notice something cool that would look good avatar-sized, I'll change it.

In fact, I'm about due to change it again!

Current avatar is a shot of the surface of a wine glass being laser etched...

>edit< WAS a wine glass, was going thru pics and found this shot of a double rainbow at our boat harbor in 2011
    Last edited by Kev Williams; 12-30-2016 at 12:16 PM.
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Blog Entries
    My Avatar has a story. It is the symbol of the Camino de Santiago. My wife hiked the Camino de Santiago across Spain- 500km. She came to a little chapel called the "Hermita de San Miguel." They had a pen and paper where you could write a prayer. She took the paper out to an olive grove outside the church to think of what she wanted to write. She wrote that she wanted to meet a man who liked to do the things she liked to do. She continued her hike to Santiago de Compostella and on to Finisterre, which literally means "the end of the earth."

Meanwhile, back in St. Thomas, I said a similar (perhaps more desperate) prayer. Amy was supposed to go to Maine on a travel nurse assignment. She got a call and they asked her if she wanted to go to St. Thomas instead. She talked it over with her mom and her mom said, "Maine is cold; Saint Thomas has surf and sailing- no brainer." (Amy grew up on a sailboat and her mom makes canvas for boats as well as being a surfer.)

Amy moved to St. Thomas and they put her in an apartment next to my best friend. He called me and said, "Get down here- there's a new travel nurse moved in and she's at the pool in an American flag bikini with a body to die for." (Exact words.) I was playing guitar and said I would come down. I decided not to go. I didn't want "Big Dan" picking out my wife, and I didn't want to make the mistake again of falling for the hot girl who turns out to be a psycho. (Been there, done that- a few times.) Dan called back, asking where I was. I said I was on the way. I decided to go, but to carry my guitar. Dan doesn't have high standards in girls. I figured this would be a dud.

So I got there and there's this amazingly beautiful woman swimming around. She had a camera and I noticed her taking pictures of things and she was being very creative- taking time to compose the image. Photography is a love of mine. I immediately said, "This girl is a photographer." I sat down and started playing flamenco on my guitar. She came over and asked if I had been to Spain. I said no, but my father went and restored an albergue on this pilgrimage they do across Spain, and she said, "the Camino de Santiago!" I said, yes- that's it. That was how we met.

Fast forward, and we decided to hike the Camino together. When we got to the place where she had said her prayer, I asked her to marry me. So the Camino is special to us. Later, for Christmas, I built her a surfboard and inlaid the Cross of St. James and the shell that are signs of the Camino. That launched a side career designing and building wood surfboards. Every board has the cross on it, and it is my logo.

So that's the story. I kept it a bit matter-of-fact to respect the forum rules about religious posts. It's a very cool story and perhaps it will one day become a book. We are getting a sailboat, which we will name "Finisterre" and plan to carry on our adventure to the ends of the earth.

Mine is just me and the shop dog, Skipper. I have no idea what breed of dog he is. When people ask me, "What kind of dog is he?", I reply, "He's a cute black dog."

He's about 13 now so I worry about him, but he's been healthy so far.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Some people just don't know how to create and upload an avatar.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm Schweizer View Post
    My Avatar has a story. It is the symbol of the Camino de Santiago. My wife hiked the Camino de Santiago across Spain- 500km. She came to a little chapel called the "Hermita de San Miguel." They had a pen and paper where you could write a prayer. She took the paper out to an olive grove outside the church to think of what she wanted to write. She wrote that she wanted to meet a man who liked to do the things she liked to do. She continued her hike to Santiago de Compostella and on to Finisterre, which literally means "the end of the earth."

Meanwhile, back in St. Thomas, I said a similar (perhaps more desperate) prayer. Amy was supposed to go to Maine on a travel nurse assignment. She got a call and they asked her if she wanted to go to St. Thomas instead. She talked it over with her mom and her mom said, "Maine is cold; Saint Thomas has surf and sailing- no brainer." (Amy grew up on a sailboat and her mom makes canvas for boats as well as being a surfer.)

Amy moved to St. Thomas and they put her in an apartment next to my best friend. He called me and said, "Get down here- there's a new travel nurse moved in and she's at the pool in an American flag bikini with a body to die for." (Exact words.) I was playing guitar and said I would come down. I decided not to go. I didn't want "Big Dan" picking out my wife, and I didn't want to make the mistake again of falling for the hot girl who turns out to be a psycho. (Been there, done that- a few times.) Dan called back, asking where I was. I said I was on the way. I decided to go, but to carry my guitar. Dan doesn't have high standards in girls. I figured this would be a dud.

So I got there and there's this amazingly beautiful woman swimming around. She had a camera and I noticed her taking pictures of things and she was being very creative- taking time to compose the image. Photography is a love of mine. I immediately said, "This girl is a photographer." I sat down and started playing flamenco on my guitar. She came over and asked if I had been to Spain. I said no, but my father went and restored an albergue on this pilgrimage they do across Spain, and she said, "the Camino de Santiago!" I said, yes- that's it. That was how we met.

Fast forward, and we decided to hike the Camino together. When we got to the place where she had said her prayer, I asked her to marry me. So the Camino is special to us. Later, for Christmas, I built her a surfboard and inlaid the Cross of St. James and the shell that are signs of the Camino. That launched a side career designing and building wood surfboards. Every board has the cross on it, and it is my logo.

So that's the story. I kept it a bit matter-of-fact to respect the forum rules about religious posts. It's a very cool story and perhaps it will one day become a book. We are getting a sailboat, which we will name "Finisterre" and plan to carry on our adventure to the ends of the earth.

What Malcom said ^ That's what inspired my avatar

OH Malcom what an superb story! Thanks for sharing. There is a book in there for certain.

Please indulge my poor attempt at humor.

Sam
    "... for when we become in heart completely poor, we at once are the treasurers & disbursers of enormous riches."
    WQJudge

What's an avatar?
    If it's broke, fix it. If it's not, fix it anyway.

Blog Entries
    Malcolm, great story. Well worth asking my simple question.
    NOW you tell me...

Man, that's a great story Malcolm!
    And she likes TOOLS!
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

I think your a very lucky man Malcolm
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

This thread spurred me to find out how to make an avatar. I Googled to find out ad found this site: http://www.shrinkpictures.com/create-avatar/

This site will allow you to take a picture file and shrink it to avatat size. I didn't have ny personal pics to use on this computer, so I chose a pic of The Cone, a mountain visible from my cousin's ranch near Montrose, Co. I have hunted (unsuccessfully, I might add) Elk on the Cone. Now to go through my pics on my other computer and find some more personal images to make into Avatars...

Snow on the Cone.jpg
    Chuck
    Last edited by Chuck Pickering; 12-29-2016 at 6:48 PM.

Made another from an image of a USAF Field Training Master Instructor Badge. I was an FTD Master Instructor during my USAF career...

US_Air_Force_Air_Education_and_Training_Command_Master_Instructor_Badge.png
    Chuck
    Last edited by Chuck Pickering; 12-29-2016 at 6:49 PM.