Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: It's here! Powermatic planer (warning gloat).

Cool It's here! Powermatic planer (warning gloat).

It finally came. I ordered a Powermatic 15" planer from Amazon the other day and they delivered it this morning. Got a friend to help me wrestle it into the basement (Had to take it apart to get it in.) Got it put together last night and ran some boards through it and it works great. Much better than my old Delta 12" lunchbox planer. (Not that I have anything against Delta.) I have wanted one of these for several years. I got the chance to put up trim for a friend at his lake house the last several weekends (12 hour days) and used the proceeds to buy the planer. Now I just have to figure out where I'm going to park it.

Ready to plane some walnut in East Tennessee!

Sparky Paessler
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Sparky Paessler

NICE

Very nice...I don't know where you can park that beast, but if you want to park it or perhaps the 12" lunchbox in my basement I would be happy to help you out

Great gloat and super nice looking tool.

Noah

Nice

Great looking tool. Give us a full report on performance. Do you get any snipe on it?
    Dick in emmett , idaho

Mike Schwing Guest
    Homer Simpson drooling sounds.....

Nice! Nice! Nice! Nice!

Re: Nice

Originally posted by Dick Howard
    Great looking tool. Give us a full report on performance. Do you get any snipe on it?
    Dick in emmett , idaho
    I've had one for a couple of years and it is a great machine. You can get snipe on mine by putting the board in at an angle (has to be end far from machine up because of rack). I have had a little a snipe on long boards that aren't supported too, but that seems like the way of the world.

Congrats, it is a great machine. Everything is metric based, so get your 4-5-6 key ready.

thanks for the comments!

Thanks for the nice comments. I've waited a long time to get one of these. I think that I can find a place to park it in my small shop Noah and anyway it's never leaving that basement again after the trouble I had getting it into it. (I only have a 4' high door from outside into the shop). I'm going to hang onto the lunchbox planer as it is handy to haul out to job sites. I have not used it yet expect playing around with a few boards but was impressed with the quality of the castings and the fit and finish of everything although the infeed and outfeed rollers could be a little better but they do work fine. The table that the wood lays on seems to be very flat both front to back and side to side. Now I can start saving up for the matching 8" Joiner. (I can Dream can't I).

Bring some wood over and try it out!

Sparky Paessler
    Sparky Paessler

Look! Twins!!

Congratulations Sparky! You will enjoy the planer. I’ve had mine a few years now and it has been a workhorse. When the time comes to change knives on it, pick up a couple of planer pals and save yourself a lot of aggravation – the OEM knife setting jig is pretty much worthless. (IMHO)

Nobody outside of a baby carriage or a judge’s chamber believes in an unprejudiced point of view. -- Lillian Hellman
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

David Blangger Guest
    No doubt about it. They look professional and should give you a lifetime of service.

Great gloat!

Dan Bussiere Guest

Nice

I am suitable jealous! Good for you, you earned it! But... if you change your mind, I'll help Noah drag it out of the basement. He can have the Lunchbox for his effort.
    Dan

Mike Schwing Guest
    Bruce thats a mighty expensive clamp rack!

Gosh, Bruce, I wish I could afford a clamp-stand like that!

Nice looking planers you guys.

Now let's see some pics of stuff that you make using them!!!
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

Nice clean machine.

I switched from a griz 3hp shaper to a powermatic 3hp shaper. Unbelievable difference on the fit and finish between the machines. The powermatic is so much nicer. I too am looking at a new jointer, but the new long bed 6". Never seen a use for a 8".
    Bruce, Terry, you guys just kill me when I see pics of your clean shops. You guys polish those tools before you take pics?

No time for surgery room cleaning Steve

Yep, the PM does make a nice clamp rack, but since the pic was taken I have found a new home for the pipe clamps. One of these days I’m going to build Jason Falejczyk’s clamp rack…

Steve, I can’t help it if my momma raised a neat freak I actually do use this thing, as a matter of fact, I’m going to roll it out and plane some cherry in a few minutes

Wrinkled Was Not One of the Things I Wanted to Be When I Grew Up
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

You will like it!

Sparky -

You will really enjoy having that machine. I have had one for a couple of years now. Works long and hard without complaint.

Congratulations,
    Ted

Nice planner, like the color

Was that your first choice? I think I'd have a tough time deciding, lots of nice planners out there.

Pete