Thread: How can I protect untreated lumber on a bare concrete floor?

Question How can I protect untreated lumber on a bare concrete floor?

I am about to build some basement shelving out of untreated 2x4 lumber and I'm wondering if there are any alternatives besides using treated lumber to protect the butt ends of the legs from contact with the bare concrete floor. I've seen a few options for leveling feet but they seem to rely on being screwed into the side of the leg which would seem to compromise the load bearing capacity of the shelves. What's the best way to tackle this problem?

Almost anything that keeps moisture from migrating from the concrete to the wood will help:

Chemical preservative treatment of the ends
    Penetrating epoxy
    Even a vapor barrier

A standoff-- I sometimes use the plastic from a cutting board screwed to the bottom, or nail-on furniture glides.

Most leg levelers can be configured to screw up into the bottom of the leg -- or 2x4 in your case. They thread into a T-nut driven up into the leg.

I would assume vapor barrier like they use between the foundation and wood framing would do the trick. Radonseal for the floor if you want to take care of the entire floor at once.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Miner View Post
    Almost anything that keeps moisture from migrating from the concrete to the wood will help:

Chemical preservative treatment of the ends
    Penetrating epoxy
    Even a vapor barrier

A standoff-- I sometimes use the plastic from a cutting board screwed to the bottom, or nail-on furniture glides.
    All these are good. Nail on furniture glides should work fine - 2 per foot will easily distribute the weight.

I would not hesitate to use thin epoxy as a treatment. Paint on the end grain - let saturate and dry - then do a 2nd coat.
    "... for when we become in heart completely poor, we at once are the treasurers & disbursers of enormous riches."
    WQJudge

Chris, I've used fence bracket connectors (Simpson's FB24Z) as a "shoe" on the end of 2x4 legs. The large end on the bottom.