Thread: Recent Work

Recent Work

Here are some of my recent dyed pieces. I'll be doing a demo on dyeing at a nearby club on Tuesday so I thought I'd share these with everyone here too. I use transtint mixed with water. These are box elder, ash, box elder, box elder, box elder, maple. Happy New Year.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Nice! I've had good results with the red, orange and yellow end of the spectrum but have struggled with the blues and greens.

I'm thinking about using more of a glaze approach.
    RD

Toby, that's great looking work. I've dabbled with some dyes, but I'm certainly a long way from anything like this. I wish I could find some good instructional videos.

That blue maple platter is amazing! ... tremendous chatoyance and depth

Beautiful work Toby!
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Thanks guys.

Richard --- I just have the red, blue, and yellow dyes. I sometimes mix them before I apply, but most times I apply one color, say yellow and then apply blue over top to get shades from yellow to green. Different areas of the wood absorb one color more than the other resulting in a range of shades.

Tim --- My technique is simple, I just brush on the dye over the whole piece. My trick is using highly figure wood that has different areas of density. The dye soaks in more or less depending on the density of the wood. It has the effect of exagerating the figure already present in the wood, much like applying BLO does.

Joe --- Thanks, it is a pretty piece in person.

Fredrick --- Thanks for the nice comment.

All beautiful. The green bottom plate reminds me of a beach and sky. I even wondered if it's green instead of blue to avoid looking too much like a painting. Nice either way

Nice!

Hey, do you write up something about your demos and post on your club website? If so, and it's visible to the public, it would be great to have a link.

JKJ

Toby,

Very nice work. Which club are you demonstrating at next Tuesday?
    Member Turners Anonymous Pittsburgh, PA

Nice work. The ash is my favorite. I also like the transtint dyes, but haven't used them for a large piece. What finish are you using over them?
    When working I had more money than time. In retirement I have more time than money. Love the time, miss the money.

Very nice Toby! They all look great.

Mel --- On this piece I first dyed the whole thing yellow, after drying I went over the whole thing again with blue dye. Some areas turned dark green, some light green, and some remained almost yellow. It amazes me that this occurs, but I like it.

John --- This is my first demo at another club so I don't know how they will remark on it. I'll check their website afterwards and if worthy I'll post a link here.

David --- The Lancaster Area Woodturners in PA.

William --- On some I used lacquer and others including the ash piece I used Rustoleum clear spray paint. The paint seems to work well, though I haven't heard of others using it. I sure hope it doesn't flake off or turn yellow in a few years. For me it is easier to apply and can be used in cooler temps and higher humidity, and doesn't have as bad of an odor. It buffs well also. Maybe someone can chime in on its use.

Don't worry Toby, As a member of Lancaster Area Woodturners and your home club, I know the guys will like it.

Doug