Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Maybe Bronze wasn't a good idea? LN #4

Maybe Bronze wasn't a good idea? LN #4

As might be remembered my woodworking occasionally must needs take longer pauses due to health. I bought an LN #4 a year or so ago and got it in bronze thinking it wouldn't rust.

Fast forward to recently and I was finally able to get back out to the shop. The #4 was unusable because of the black streaks it was leaving on the board. I sat down today and a friend of mine and I started to try to rectify the situation. We started with a polishing cloth like LN sells. One whole side of it black I could still run a dry finger over the sole and have it come up jet black.

Am I missing something- a simpler way to correct this? Did I just buy the wrong plane?

Tony,
    Use Wenol or some other metal cleaner/polish to get the tarnish off. Then clean off the polish with denatured alcohol. Make sure you get all the polish off (potential silicon contamination).

After cleaning off the polish you used to de-tarnish it, apply a couple good coats of Johnson's Paste Wax to the body of that plane. You'll have to reapply once in a while, like after using/handling it.

Another option that I've read about but have not tried personally, is to brush on a coat of blonde shellac. Maybe someone else can comment on the pros/cons of that. Lee Valley and presumably LN sell various protectives too.

But regardless, this is solvable and I dont think you bought the wrong tool.

Good luck!
    Fred
    Last edited by Frederick Skelly; 12-29-2016 at 4:15 PM.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

It's just tarnish and shouldn't take long to remove with a polish or with a fine scotchbrite pad. My LN 4 is iron, but the lever cap is bronze and I've found it easy to remove the tarnish. You'll need to remove the metal swarf afterwards with acetone, mineral spirits, etc., to avoid marking a surface. I have to scotchbrite my iron LN regularly due to surface rust from fingerprints, so its no improvement in maintenance really, although it won't leave marks on wood. But at least you don't have to worry about pitting when you're not using the plane for prolonged periods, so I think bronze was actually the right choice. If used regularly I imagine the sole will stay clean enough not to leave marks, and the rest can tarnish as much as it wants.

4. the tarnish removal method left over from the bronze age (still works, too! ) is to cut a lemon in half, sprinkle salt on the exposed cut end of the lemon and scrub the bronze with that.

you'll probably want to remove the steel parts first, and wash off the salty lemon juice when you're done. follow with paste wax, as per below.

Quote Originally Posted by Frederick Skelly View Post
    Tony,
    Use Wenol or some other metal cleaner/polish to get the tarnish off. Then clean off the polish with denatured alcohol. Make sure you get all the polish off (potential silicon contamination).

After cleaning off the polish you used to de-tarnish it, apply a couple good coats of Johnson's Paste Wax to the body of that plane. You'll have to reapply once in a while, like after using/handling it.

Another option that I've read about but have not tried personally, is to brush on a coat of blonde shellac. Maybe someone else can comment on the pros/cons of that. Lee Valley and presumably LN sell various protectives too.

But regardless, this is solvable and I dont think you bought the wrong tool.

Good luck!
    Fred

Thanks for those. Called LN as well and they recommended a maroon scotch brite pad.

Tony, I think that there is a simple solution: use the plane regularly! I have a bronze #3 and I have never experienced any marks on wood surfaces. Obviously, my plane is not allowed to tarnish on the sole - the wood polishes it regularly!

Regards from Perth

Derek

Some warm up strokes to get the feel back and your plan is ready again too.

How effective is wax at keeping the tarnish from returning?

i hate to admit it but I've been wanting to try one of the Veritas custom planes. I've been toying with the idea of selling a plane and buying one. I'm not sure if I want to be talked out of it or in to it.

Blog Entries
    Tony, Back in 1967 my father had a custom set of silverware made of solid bronze in Thailand that has some type of protective coating or process that prevents tarnish. This dinner service set gets used at best once or twice a year and many pieces are handled and of course washed after use, yet it shows little if any sign of tarnish after 49 years. I don't believe that is lacquer because there is no signs of wear or damage after all these years and every piece that has been used is just as bright and shiney as the pieces that have seen little if any use. I did some google searching, but could not find any reference to what might have been used, so I really don't have any idea what the finish process was.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

I bet the metal is brass ,not bronze. And probably has some lead in it. I was referring to Tony's post. The stuff Lee mentioned sounds like bronze. We have a pair of bronze candlesticks that are not tarnished and I polished them about 1980 the color has darkened some but they are still quite shiny .
    Last edited by Mel Fulks; 01-06-2017 at 10:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Fulks View Post
    I bet the metal is brass ,not bronze. And probably has some lead in it. I was referring to Tony's post. The stuff Lee mentioned sounds like bronze. We have a pair of bronze candlesticks that are not tarnished and I polished them about 1980 the color has darkened some but they are still quite shiny .
    lie-Nielsen uses what they call Maganese Bronze.

Thanks,Tony. I just googled and saw that is also called yellow brass. I know there are some here who know much more than I about alloys. But since bronze is traditionally copper and tin and brass copper and zinc I see no good reason to have an alloy known both as brass and bronze.

Tony, in your situation, wooden planes would be ideal! Nor worries about rust or tarnish. Just keep the blade oily/greasy.

Quote Originally Posted by Kees Heiden View Post
    Tony, in your situation, wooden planes would be ideal! Nor worries about rust or tarnish. Just keep the blade oily/greasy.
    I'm keeping my eyes open for a vintage wooden fore plane. I have an Ohio Tools wooden jointer in pretty good shape and a wonderful cofin smoother. I use them a lot but there are just times I prefer the metal ones with the adjusters.

I have even thought about making a wooden plane or two. I bought Will Anderson's video on making an 18th century jointer plane. I haven't finished it yet but I need to see if I can do it without investing in a set of floats. I also have thought about getting Scott Meeks video but not sure how much fun laminated plane bodies would be without firing up the band saw.

I'm like you with a set of metal and a set of wooden planes. Sometimes I really like an adjuster! Especially for smoothing.

And I made my set of wooden planes with just one float, the long triangular sidefloat. It is really helpfull when sharpened. I wished for a bed float too, but got along with just the sidefloat, chisels and a scraper-chisel (a 90 degree bevel chisel). For cutting the abutments I made a flush cut saw, I guess an edge float would work better but this is what I have.

Laminated planes, meuh....