Thread: Christmas bit

Christmas bit

My daughter gave me a WoodWorkers Supply gift certificate for Christmas so I stopped in today and picked up a Freud 77-308 1/2" 3 flute compression bit for my CNC router. I never would've spent my own money on it.

It's a wicked looking bugger.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Nice purchase. Ive got a couple 3/8" and a couple 1/2" Amana's. Impressive tools (compressions). Sucks bad on the checkbook when they snap.

I can understand the checkbook pain. They don't give these away cheap!
    I love the 1/4" compression bits I have. I'm hoping this one will be a little quieter.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

I agree, It's a wicked looking bugger alright.
    I hope it works good for you in your router.

I've never heard of a compression bit. What is it used for?

Chuck

Chuck, the compression bit is used (mostly) in cnc routers. The lower part of the cutter has a "up" spiral grind and the upper part has a "down" grind. That helps prevent chipping of the top & bottom edge of the work piece and allows for a more aggressive feed rate.

Andy Rooney

Thanks for the explanation, Bruce.

Chuck

I use 1/4 bits due to though hole requirements. In 3/4 ply with a 1/4 dia compression bit, what pass depths do you use??

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Heidrick View Post
    I use 1/4 bits due to though hole requirements. In 3/4 ply with a 1/4 dia compression bit, what pass depths do you use??
    Mike, with this new bit probably .5 depth, 250ipm. I'll have to experiment with it.
    I'm a hobbyist so time and maximum efficiency are not that important to me.

Andy Rooney

We've only 2 flute compressions so far and running 1/2" 2 flute 600ipm @18K on Melamine single pass. Looking at the 3 flute we could back RPM WAY down. I know your not shooting for max performance but what RPM will you run at 250imp? The bits are so expensive youd hate to just grind one down to nothing running it too slow?

Mark, I haven't had a chance to play with it yet. I've been down with a bad cold for the last week.

Andy Rooney