Thread: Glue line 24t or 30t?

Glue line 24t or 30t?

Sears 10" contractor. 1.5 hp
    3/4" to 1-1/4" hardwood material range.
    Currently use a Freud Fusion 40 T for all work. I'd like a thin kerf glue line for ripping with emphasis on the cut quality for glue up more so than the speed.
    24T or 30T?

The 30T is recommended for up to 1", which means the Fusion and a 30T GLR will cover about the same range with similarly clean cuts.... the only advantage there would be saving edge life on the Fusion. If you'd rather not spend the money on a new blade, just use Fusion for that ripping task. If you're going to add a blade, I'd go with the 24T for thicker ripping. It'll expand your cutting range capability into an area the Fusion or a 30T GLR won't handle well. Something like the Freud LU87 or Infinity 010-124 should give glue ready edges if the material is flat and straight.

If you'd rather get a 30T that's recommended for thicker materials, I'd look to the 30T WWII TK, but expect to pay $100+.
    Last edited by scott spencer; 02-11-2017 at 4:25 PM.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

Blog Entries
    I used to use a 24 tooth Freud thin kerf rip blade on my Craftsman 1.5 Hp 113 series saw. When it got dull and could not be sharpened, I purchased a 30 tooth Freud Glue line rip blade and have noticed no reduction in performance and I get a better quality rip cut.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute