Thread: Bronze Bowls?

Bronze Bowls?

I know that this might not be for everyone but I was thinking out loud this morning about spraying round objects with a product called Sculpt Nouveau.
    I have used this product in the past on flat plaques, it works really well and is available in a long list of finishes such as bronze, copper, stainless, and silver among others. It is also available with a variety of patinas that can be applied.

There is real metal in the liquid so it can be polished once its cured and you use a very inexpensive spray gun to apply it to your project.

Think about bronze urns or even a bronze table with decorative turned legs.

https://www.sculptnouveau.com/

Here is the link to their YouTube Channel
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 12-30-2016 at 11:49 AM.

CSUSA sells a similar product: https://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/p...int?term=metal

I'm sure you could find similar at a local retailer if you looked.

No offense meant guys, but one word comes to mind........"tacky".

IMHO, a bronze bowl, urn, etc has a quality, solid feel because of what it is, an object made of bronze.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Rasmussen View Post
    IMHO, a bronze bowl, urn, etc has a quality, solid feel because of what it is, an object made of bronze.
    I haven't used this stuff, but I can see a value in it, not necessarily to make a fake bronze object but as an artistic accent: ring, inside, etc. I've used metal powder inlays to good effect. And David Marks makes good use of metal leaf on turnings. His photos look great but holding one is inspiring.

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    I haven't used this stuff, but I can see a value in it, not necessarily to make a fake bronze object but as an artistic accent: ring, inside, etc. I've used metal powder inlays to good effect. And David Marks makes good use of metal leaf on turnings. His photos look great but holding one is inspiring.

JKJ
    Something like this kitchen utensil container 5.5"x7":
    walnut5.5x7.jpg

I've used a similar product from Ten Second Studio. http://store.tensecondsstudio.com/vdpaptsec.html The problem I've had is there is no fixative or finish to apply to stop the metal reaction. Regular lacquers and fixative sprays darken the surface. I used it on the rim of a cherry platter, we'll see what happens to the metal reactive finish.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Fritz View Post
    ...The problem I've had is there is no fixative or finish to apply to stop the metal reaction. Regular lacquers and fixative sprays darken the surface.
    Can you apply a mask before finishing then remove it?

JKJ

Toby, I like your piece. What application did you use?

Quote Originally Posted by John Keeton View Post
    Toby, I like your piece. What application did you use?
    Hi John, I used the Verday metal reactive paints. I made burn lines then painted between them. I brushed on the brass as a base coat and let it dry, then I used bronze and copper and, while still wet, sprayed on some activator. I did the painting while the piece was still on the chuck so I could remount it and re-burn the lines where some paint I knew would get into. Then I turned off the tenon. This is an end grain turning with the pith in the center of the bottom from a well aged walnut log. I finished it with Rustoleum clear spray paint. Thanks for asking and I'm glad you like it.
    Toby

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Rasmussen View Post

In all fairness the resulting finish is real bronze. I have seen projects that people have created by CNC machining statues from foam then
    applying the bronze finish in several layers. Once the bronze cured the foam was heated and removed, the result was basically a bronze statue.

We use this same technique with other finishing products, covering wood with laquer, varnish or BLO is basically the same thing to some degree. Whether you pour molten bronze metal or spray it on its still the real thing, its a finishing process that in some cases might be an acceptable alternative to the more traditional techniques.

Agree with Keith (so no sander editing needed!) Gold leaf is pretty thin ...even in multiple layers! And how about those "BRONZE "statues that are HOLLOW! marquetry made of VENEER! FLAT paintings with fake depth!

Toby, Did the Rust-Oleum clear spray paint change the Verday finish any?

In all fairness to Doug I have been thinking about his comment and my first response. There is a difference between a cast bronze and the spray type bronze finish material that I failed to consider in my last post. A spray-on finish relies on an adhesive component to hold the metal powder together so it will never be the same as a solid metal, well not exactly the same. My initial thought was more concerned with the suitability of the final results for a particular project so I overlooked the technical difference between the two options which was my error.

However, I still believe that there is a place for this type of application. Considering that most of us will never have a means to cast our own metal or to shape it using existing shop machines the spray-on finish offers new options that might be attractive to a select group. I also concede that although it isn't technically a solid bronze material it offers options that can't be reproduced using a solid metal in the average home shop.

I still believe that this technique can be very attractive to anyone who owns a wood lathe and is looking for another finish option that is unique. I expect it would also have been an option for Toby's kitchen container he shared above. I expect it can be painted on with a brush as well and the texture adjusted after application.

Quote Originally Posted by Toby Bouder View Post
    Hi John, I used the Verday metal reactive paints. I made burn lines then painted between them. I brushed on the brass as a base coat and let it dry........
    Toby
    Thanks! Very effective embellishment and well used.

Hi Dave, I didn't notice any change.