Thread: Resaw King resharpening

Resaw King resharpening

Happy New Year's Eve folks!

Can anyone recommend a sharpening service for the resaw king blade? I think Eagle tools does it but I can't call them today!

I bought a used Agazzani B-24 from a member here a few months ago and with the saw was a Resaw King blade. It wanders all over the place! Even with a pivot fence it's hard to track. I've gone through various adjustments on the saw and have come to the conclusion that it might be dull.

It also came with another 1" blade that I was able to set up and make consistent cuts after adjusting for drift.

These flat wheel saws are different, on my old 14" delta I could generally tune it to cut straight without drift. I guess I'll get used to this big saw but I really thought we'd be getting along better by now!

Hopefully someone will have a good recommendation for a resharpening service!

TIA-----Jeff

The places I know are Laguna tools and Daily saw service in South gate.
    My first choice would be Laguna since it's their blade.
    Aj

I know nothing about Agazzani saws except they are very well respected. If you are having trouble sawing straight and parallel with the miter slot my first thought would be the blade is dull on one side, both sides, or the set is not equal. I would put a new blade on it and see how that cuts. I think you have to hang the teeth off the front of the tire, but I'm not sure. But I am sure plenty of folks here know and will be happy to assist you in getting your saw cutting straight and true. That saw should be a true joy to use.

John

Andrew- where is South Gate? Laguna is probably the best bet, I just don't want give up on the blade yet!
    John, I have set up both blades that I've run on it with the teeth hanging over and I'm getting used to it......just seems wrong!
    The things that needed adjusted were sort of simple; the guides were crooked, the table needed to be rotated to make the miter slot parallel.
    I think as well as having the resaw king resharpened I'll order another regular blade just to test things out.

Do you have a copy of Duginske's book on bandsaws?

Jeff, I don't have a copy of that book but I'm pretty comfortable tuning a bandsaw. This is just my first experience with a carbide blade and a flat wheeled saw.
    Does the Duginske book cover flat wheeled saws?

Jeff, yes he covers both crowned and flat wheel configurations (I've a Euro saw with a flat wheel). I have two copies of the book and no matter how hard I try I can't read both copies at once. If you want to pay postage, you're welcome to my spare. PM me if interested.

Sending the blade back to Laguna is really your best bet.
    I have a Resaw King on my Aggazani right now and the teeth don't hang off the tire,They come right up to the edge.
    But my Woodmaster Ct blade they do a little.
    Bandsaws are tricky but a new blade seems to fix everything.
    Aj

Jeff, thank you! PM sent!

Andrew, I have the teeth set so that the carbide tips hang off the edge. What would make you choose to hang one blade off and not another?

It's my understanding that blades with set should hang off, basically so that the gullets line up with the edge of the tire thus preventing the teeth from tearing up the tire.

I'm looking forward to trying a new blade on this saw. Andrew, which blade do you prefer, the resaw king or the woodmaster ct?

Thanks for the discussion!

For flat-wheeled band saws, outside of very narrow blades, the teeth generally do track off the side of the wheel to avoid crushing the tooth set, especially with the higher tension these bigger saws exhibit. (band saws with crowned tires run the blades in the middle)
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

So I adjust the position on the top to match the bottom wheel.
    They are both great blades the Woodmaster is better Resaw blade.
    The Laguna is good at Resaw but slower it has a thinner kerf so it's a wood saver and the surface is almost as good as my tablesaw.
    I like them both.
    Aj

Do you hang the teeth off the bottom wheel too? I've heard people report that they hang the teeth off the top wheel and ignore the bottom wheel....didn't make total sense but I'm still trying to understand a flat wheel!!

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Bartley View Post
    Do you hang the teeth off the bottom wheel too? I've heard people report that they hang the teeth off the top wheel and ignore the bottom wheel....didn't make total sense but I'm still trying to understand a flat wheel!!
    The blade just goes where it wants on the bottom wheel so I match it on the top.
    When I do this way the front of the blade is very close to square to the table.
    Not sure if it really matters but the saw cuts very good so that's what works for me.
    When you get your new blade try it out.And let us know how it works.
    Sometimes I wish I had gotten the 24 with the bigger table.You have an nice saw well worth spending some time on.
    Good luck
    Aj

Where the blade rides on the wheel is what the manufacturer recommends and how the saw is setup. My Centauro manual recommends that the teeth on that saw extend just beyond the blade as described in the "snippet" from the manual and shown in the photo. What your mfg. recommends may be different.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "the mechanic that would perfect his work must first sharpen his tools.” Confucius

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Adamsen View Post
    Where the blade rides on the wheel is what the manufacturer recommends and how the saw is setup. My Centauro manual recommends that the teeth on that saw extend just beyond the blade as described in the "snippet" from the manual and shown in the photo. What your mfg. recommends may be different.
    The photo Bill shows ^^^ is how I would track any blade greater than 1/2", on any saw, regardless of brand, that has flat tires, both upper and lower wheels.

Erik