Thread: Celtic Vase - A wave to Dixie

Celtic Vase - A wave to Dixie

I have been absent for a while, my heart meds were causing some problems. This piece was inspired by some of the work of Dixie Biggs. I had a day i her shop a couple of years ago and my club had her in for a demo and two days hand-on. She carves with power tools, and I had planned this to be power carved but ended up carving it with a #1 x-acto handle with the #101 blade. Went through several packages...

Mahogany 3 1/2" diameter, 7 3/4" tall, lacquer finish with wood-burned texturing on the band.
    Enjoy, C&C welcome.
    KIMG0061.jpgKIMG0062.jpg
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

Very impressive work Thom! I can not imagine the effort carving that by hand had to have been but the finished product sure was worth it!

Hope you are feeling better!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Steve, the reason for hand carving was that I could sit at my desk in the house in short bursts and not have to stand or walk back and forth to the shop. The wife was so glad to see me working that nothing was ever said about the shavings, but i do not think the micro carver would have been welcome...

Thom, beautiful piece. Good to see you back again.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Very nice Thom. Good to see you back!!!

Excellent work! So glad you are doing better and back at it. Those meds can be miraculous, but the side effects can be devastating at times.

That's a great piece Thom and it is great to see you posting again.
    Sid Matheny
    McMinnville, TN

8. Very glad to see you post again, Thom! I have been concerned about you. Great work, especially under your circumstances.......it is easy to see you still have the fire & passion for fine work! Great piece!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

With an x-acto knife, yikes! I'm impressed. I've done a fair bit of carving and I just can't imagine. Beautiful design and execution! The long sweeping curves draw the eye to the perfect rise in the carved band.

Someone asked about you recently, if anyone knew if you were ok. I too am glad to see your "face" and posts!

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    With an x-acto knife, yikes! I'm impressed. I've done a fair bit of carving and I just can't imagine. Beautiful design and execution! The long sweeping curves draw the eye to the perfect rise in the carved band.

Someone asked about you recently, if anyone knew if you were ok. I too am glad to see your "face" and posts!

I know. John Keeten emailed me. I had been planning on posting this earlier, but my camera had dead batteries and I could not remember where the charger was, so I used my phone. Thanks for the comments.

Nice to see you back, Thom. A very impressive piece.
    "Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig." Robert Heinlein

"[H]e had at home a lathe, and amused himself by turning napkin rings, with which he filled up his house, with the jealousy of an artist and the egotism of a bourgeois."
    Gustave Flaubert, Madame Bovary

Really great vases Thom, I feel your pain about getting use to meds. I had foot surgery in mid July and it is all I can do to complete shop project now. I was in 6 different casts until the end of October. Also love the carving and burning.

Thom,good to see you back, that is an exceptionally graceful piece .

Tom,
    Glad you have got back to a project. Keep up the good work, especially admire all the hand work. Stay healthy.