Thread: Unusual (?) American Chestnut

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Unusual (?) American Chestnut

Hi Folks,
    I'm the new guy here... Not new to woodworking, but a real newbie at turning. I just turned my first bowl, and attached a picture for your comments. The wood is wormy American Chestnut, and there is a story behind that. I will try to keep it short! About 5 years ago, I hired a tree crew to clear some trees to make room for additions. When one of the trees was felled, I noticed the tree crew gathering around. It was the American Chestnut, and on top of being somewhat rare, this one was infused with blood red streaks. I saved several pieces for future turning, and in a matter of hours, I had forestry people from the local university there, as well as a couple of guys from the USDA... How they found out, I have no idea. I think everyone wanted a piece of that tree!

OK, it is 5 years later, and I just acquired my first wood lathe. I have done machine work for the better part of 35 years, but the bowl in the picture is my first attempt at turning wood. This bowl was cut out of a scrap piece I did not think I would be able to use, but it turned out better than I expected. My work cannot compare to some of what I have seen on this site, but have any of you run across any wood with type of coloration? I finished this bowl with a couple coats of Tung oil, and will look at something different for the next bowl, as it turned the light colors yellow. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated!
    Danny
    Attached Images Attached Images