Thread: Advice on lowering power feeder speed

Advice on lowering power feeder speed

I am a hobbyist woodworker, but have started building some 6-panel interior doors (poplar) for my house remodel. I am using a Mini-Max T30 (3 hp - 3/4 spindle) shaper running at its highest speed and Steff power feeder (1/2 hp 1 phase 3033) with a rail and stile shaper cutter for the 1-3/8” doors. I am finding that I have to take very light cuts (1/16” or less) otherwise the shaper bogs down even at the power feeder’s lowest speed (9 fpm). It’s getting frustrating as I have to make 5-6 passes to complete the profile with 7 pieces to mold each pass. Under these conditions, the 15 doors I need to build are looking like more work than fun.

Is there any way to slow the feeder even further so I can take a bigger bite (i.e., less passes)? Would a VFD work on a single phase feeder?

Thanks, Bob

Hi, no a VFD won't work on a single phase feeder.

Is the cutter sharp?

What type/diameter is the cutter?

Is it running at the correct speed?

Is the belt tight on the spindle?

Regards, Rod.

I'm going on by ear but I would say, that most likely the problem is with the shaper. With 3hp, sharp cutters, you should be able to cut poplar at least 1/2inch in 1" 3/8 all day long without bogging down. (at least that's my experience) I would check the spindle motor (maybe the run capacitor is gone, maybe the belt is loose, maybe the speed of the spindle is too low (lower speed equals bigger bite for the same feed rate)).

I agree.

You need to sharpen your cutters and look into tightening the belts on the shaper, not slow the feeder down.

Charley

Diameter of cutters and number of wings is the most important thing for determining feed speed.

Unless your cutters are very small diameter, the spindle speed might be too high.

3hp isn't much though on a shaper, but a sticking cut doesn't need much either.

Thank you all for the comments.

Cutter brand new....it's an two wing MLSC door profile cutter....3-1/8" in diameter. Produces a good finish

https://www.mlcswoodworking.com/shop...door_sets.html

As far as speed, the shaper has three speeds, 4000, 7000, and 9500 RPMs. I was running at 9500.

Sebastien....How would one check the run capacitor on the motor?

Will check the belt tightness and have another go.

Thanks, bob

7k would be where I would start.