Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What did you learn on your latest project?

1. I definately learned not to keep my hand to hold a board in front on a chisel. ..
    Well long story shot 5/8" chilsel sliced straight through. On the bright side doctor did complement on my sharpING as she said it was a very clean cut.
    Cheers and be safe

I relearned the wisdom of Tage Frid, one of my favorite master craftsman. He writes clearly, and his jigs are exactly what they need to be; simple and functional.

That I really hate installing anything anymore.

I learned how to use sliding dovetails to build a drawer.

A lesson that I keep forgetting is that it always always always takes longer than what you think it would take to do a step.

I built a night stand with mortises and tenons. My first attempt at doing this. I learned to make sure of the layout on each piece before cutting with the router. Made only one mistake before I realized what I did. First time gluing up in stages. Like finishing, it's time consuming, but worth it. Never get in a hurry.

I learn the same thing on every project... that I tend to underestimate the time I'll need to finish a project.

I replaced a Kreg fence stop on my table saw sliding table with one from Woodhaven -- the Kreg one had play that the Woodhaven one does not. Doing so, I needed to rebuild the fence that hold the stop -- the rail had to be turned around, the ruler replaced.

Anyway, when I put it on, I noticed that the fence was not flat with the table saw top -- the sliding table part was miss-adjusted. It took some time, but I was able to adjust the tilt of the sliding table so that it matched the table ... did not notice it when cutting, but it could have made the cuts a little off ... The last time that I lowed at it was years ago -- so it was a good thing to notice -- so check adjustments -- I guess that it is something that should be done regularly, but as most things, if it still works, just use it ...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

The game changes with age. What was simple and automatic now requires thought and concentration.

My memory sucks! I will plan out a process and then skip a step. Solution - white board on the wall with all the steps written down in order.

Also- recheck everything in the morning, don't assume that set-ups from yesterday were finished or correct. Don't assume anything.

I've learned that my memory ain't what it used to be. Most of work is scroll work, signs, intricate work. The orders I take from folks amaze me at their expectations in a short amount of time. Nothing is set in stone. And, I've also learned to write everything down. Measurements, type of wood used, blades used, etc.
    Sawdust703

Quote Originally Posted by Darcy Warner View Post
    That I really hate installing anything anymore.
    +1. I wish I had a crew down where I live like I did up north. Deliver and walk away.
    -Lud

12. its like working for anything should be from your heart to get a good result.

Quote Originally Posted by Mason Truelove View Post
    its like working for anything should be from your heart to get a good result.
    Not if you plan on being a business man and making a profit off of it.

Latest project is a jewelry chest with box joint drawers and miniature Gilpinoid legs ala the article in FWW a while back. About 12" tall, 8.5 deep and 16 wide. Two full width drawers, 4 half width.

Most of my woodworking projects have been larger in scale.

I learned that just because the piece is smaller, doesn't mean it will take less time to build. Not even close. (which explains why this Christmas present *still* isn't delivered )

For one thing, there was a lot more resawing and stock prep to get the 3/8 and 1/2 material. And I had more than my usual share of boards that potato chipped after resawing.
    Then I had to build a new finger joint jig for the smaller scale. And several jigs for the Gilpinoid legs. And I really wished I had a smaller combo square or double square (now on my wish list).

I've never been all that great at estimating time, but I really blew it on this one. Good thing it wasn't a commission or I'd be taping money to it.....

I learned that using a sharp marking knife to mark cut lines and measurements is far more accurate than using a pencil.