Thread: A coffee table with a different flavor

A coffee table with a different flavor

I recently completed a coffee table per my wife's request. What makes it different is what is inlaid into the top.
    She grew up on a farm in an old two story farm house that was heated with a floor furnace. A number of years ago, the house was extensively damaged in the Greensburg (KS) tornado. When the house was finally taken down, we salvaged two grates from that floor furnace. These are the grates on each end of the top. The center grate (decorative) was a garage sale find.

I have a piece of 1/4" glass set into the top and over all three grates. The center grate can be removed which reveals an open box that can be used to display "treasures". There is a removable panel at the bottom of the box so items can be exchanged in the box without having to remove the glass.

Coffee Table -2.JPGCoffee Table -1.JPGCorner Detail.JPGLeg Detail.JPGEnd Panel.JPG Center Panel.JPG Display Box -2.JPG

Nice, unique work. I had to share that one with my wife.

That's a clever idea, Dan. ..And very well executed. Your wife has a keen sense of conjuring nostalgia. It's a conversation piece, to be sure.

I agree with Jay and Yonak! Very unique, clever and well executed! Nicely done Sir!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Blog Entries
    Very nice work. I like the feet. Can you show details of how they attach to the bottom board? Great job on recycling the heat registers. Those old cast registers are really neat. My grandparents houses all had those cast vents in the floor to let heat get to the upper floors.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

That is SO KOOL!

Wayne