Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Wooden Try Plane Refurbishment.

Just to recap where this Try Planes refurbishments stood 48hrs ago. The rear tote and front strike block needed gluing in, and the top coat finish hadn't been started.

And now. The rear tote and front strike block have been glued in. Followed by 3 coats of clear Danish Oil, 3 coats of Garnet Shellac, the surface then worked over with a cutting paste, and lastly 2 coats of tinted paste wax buffed to a medium sheen. End result looks reasonable. It will darken further over time to closer resemble its patina prior to refurbishment.

All that remains is to double check the soles flatness with the double irons in place, wax the sole, and test this wooden Try Plane's performance.

Stewie;
    Last edited by Stewie Simpson; 01-12-2017 at 6:32 AM.

You did a great job on the patination! My compliments. Could you give some details on what kind of colors you used?

Quote Originally Posted by Kees Heiden View Post
    You did a great job on the patination! My compliments. Could you give some details on what kind of colors you used?
    Kees; Black and Red Powder Tints.

Stewie;

Thank you.

Used the Try Plane this morning to dress flat 1 face and edge of a rough sawn board of Douglas-Fir.(Oregon)
    The plane did an excellent job. Moderately thick to thin shavings were shooting out of the escarpment with no signs of build up at the mouth opening. The newly fitted strike block also works a treat. As I mentioned in an earlier post, a wooden plane makes a beautiful sound, distinctly different to a metal sole.

Brian H. I checked the sole for flatness with the irons fitted. Little change had occurred. If anything, there was a slight hint of favour to the toe and heel when worked over a flat glass surface of 220 grit.

This refurbishment has come to end.

regards Stewie;
    Last edited by Stewie Simpson; 01-12-2017 at 8:40 PM.

That was a really interesting post and the result is great. Thanks!

Normand

Very nicely done Stewie. I know what you mean regarding the sound of the wooden plane, and it is a beautiful thing.

Excellent work, Stewie,,,,
    Jerry

Blog Entries
    Thanks Stewie, appreciate the feedback! Very nicely done, the plane will serve you well.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

It's a beauty. Very nice job!

I was in a local antique shop last weekend looking at a handful of this type of planes. They would have made good kindling.

Michael; I see your a retired Carpenter. Was there none worth refurbishing.

Stewie;

The wooden planes I looked at were so badly checked throughout that I could not see how they would be brought back to usable condition.

Your thread inspired me to clean up my Grandfathers' (was also a Carpenter) molding planes. Of course in his time period they relied on wooden planes to complete a number of projects. He had a nice assortment of planes, but thru the years many have disappeared, and a few were just worn out. No try or jointer planes, so I remain on the lookout for a nice one to refurb.
    I just lack your expertise in the refurbishment portion of the work.

Beautiful job. I really like the strike button's look. Did you have to rework the escapement, or was it clearing chips before. I didn't see where you mentioned that earlier, so apologies if it was covered.

Nothing better, to me, than the sound and feel of a well tuned woodie doing it's job. I filled a garbage can yesterday to overflow flattening and smoothing a table top yesterday.
    Jeff

Great work!

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Heath View Post
    Beautiful job. I really like the strike button's look. Did you have to rework the escapement, or was it clearing chips before. I didn't see where you mentioned that earlier, so apologies if it was covered.

Nothing better, to me, than the sound and feel of a well tuned woodie doing it's job. I filled a garbage can yesterday to overflow flattening and smoothing a table top yesterday.
    Jeff; the escarpment needed no refinements..

Stewie;