Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Wooden Try Plane Refurbishment.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael L. Martin View Post
    The wooden planes I looked at were so badly checked throughout that I could not see how they would be brought back to usable condition.

Your thread inspired me to clean up my Grandfathers' (was also a Carpenter) molding planes. Of course in his time period they relied on wooden planes to complete a number of projects. He had a nice assortment of planes, but thru the years many have disappeared, and a few were just worn out. No try or jointer planes, so I remain on the lookout for a nice one to refurb.
    I just lack your expertise in the refurbishment portion of the work.
    Hi Michael; I just purchased an early wooden Jack Plane that is in need of some TLC to bring it back to a serviceable condition. Interestingly, its maker is from your side of the pond. How much work is involved will need to be accessed when it arrives in the post.

If forum members have any information available on this plane-maker which can be used to determine this jack planes date of manufacture, it would be greatly appreciated.

Stewie;

Last edited by Stewie Simpson; 01-15-2017 at 2:53 AM.

Last edited by Stewie Simpson; 01-15-2017 at 4:12 AM.

My thanks and appreciation to Don McConnell for his assistance.

A Chapin Discount sheet from that date mentions the "J. Pearce." mark in connection with Chapins' "common bench planes." The numbering system for this part of their line was:

100 Smoothing plane, single iron
    101 Jack plane, single iron
    102 Fore [try] plane, single iron
    103 Jointer plane, single iron

108 Smoothing plane, double iron
    109 Jack plane, double iron
    110 Fore [try] plane, double iron
    111 Jointer plane, double iron

The 1925 price list has the same numbering system for their common bench planes, but gives no indication of the J. Pearce mark.

In any event, your plane's iron seems to have the Chapin-Stephens mark, which, if original, (and I suspect it is), then your plane post-dates 1901 when the two firms were combined. So, possible dates for it would be 1901 to 1929, when Stanley bought the firm out and discontinued the wooden plane portion of the business.
    http://theclampguy.info/hist_ch.htm

If that wedge is original to the plane, there will be a need to add a full laminated sole.
    Last edited by Stewie Simpson; 01-16-2017 at 12:41 AM.

Just a word of caution if your looking to purchase an old wooden bench plane from ebay in particular. Make sure the single or double iron combo looks to match the planes maker. I had the opportunity recently to purchase another Try Plane made by well respected Scottish plane maker A. Mathieson & Sons, but then noticed the 2 1/2" double iron that was being provided was a only a cheaper Ward. Sure enough, looking further into the other items the seller was offering was a Mathieson 2 1/2" being sold separately at a reasonably expensive price. What the seller may/or may not realize is that the wedge abutments on the main stock of the plane have been shaped to suit the original double irons, and that any variation within the tolerances from the original to the newer Ward combo would need fettling in before the plane would function correctly. Add to that; a wooden bench plane without its original makers irons is a far less attractive proposition for those who have some depth of knowledge on the subject.

To cut a long story short, I ended bypassed that sellers offer, and went ahead with purchasing this J.Pearce Jack Plane from a different seller.

Stewie;
    Last edited by Stewie Simpson; 01-16-2017 at 4:56 AM.