Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Intro and converting desk into workbench question?

Quote Originally Posted by Joe A Faulkner View Post
    Regarding bench height, there are a couple of considerations. If you primarily plan to use metal planes you are in my opinion well served to put the height at the distance your palms would be off the floor if placed flat on top of your bench. Some woodie users may prefer there bench a couple of inches shorter. Given that you have a table saw and a small space to work in you may want to consider keeping your bench no higher than your tablesaw. In tight shops ripping long boards can be a challenge if there are lots of work surfaces taller than your TS that may be in the area needed to rip sheet goods. Particularly important to avoid if you build cabinets, bookcases, entertainment center, closet organizers or other projects that involve ripping 8' long sheet goods on the Tablesaw.
    Good point!
    I havent given any thought to the interference the bench might cause while ripping sheet goods. I plan to make the bench 38" and cut down, tomorrow I'll have to go and get the height off my table saw. It would be nice if the bench could possibly function as a out feed table as well. Although my primary concern now is that it functions well as a hand tool bench and is comfortable on my back. I'm only 25 but trying to hunch over and work on my desk for extended periods of time really sucks,

Decided I had had enough thinking about building and went down to buy my 2x12's earlier. After getting to the hardware store, I found out they didn't stock a kd 2x12, so I went on home depots website and they don't list kd 2x12 either. Does everyone buy their 2x12 green, or do I just need to call up some actual lumber yards?

Quote Originally Posted by Michael J Evans View Post
    Decided I had had enough thinking about building and went down to buy my 2x12's earlier. After getting to the hardware store, I found out they didn't stock a kd 2x12, so I went on home depots website and they don't list kd 2x12 either. Does everyone buy their 2x12 green, or do I just need to call up some actual lumber yards?
    It does not have to be Kiln dried for a bench. The oak I am building my bench from has been air dried for 40 plus years. Southern Yellow pine, if your lumber yard has it, can finish drying in a few months indoors.

A moisture meter might be helpful.

Also, kiln dried softwood from one of my local lumber yards is only marginally more expensive than stuff from big box stores, and much nicer.

Just pick up the best looking 2x12's you see at HD, Lowe's or the like and stack it stickered up in your shop so the shop air can get around it and let it sit a week or two. I did not have room to store all of the lumber required for my bench in my shop at one time, so I bought the base lumber first, then the top lumber later when the base lumber was all fully milled and required less storage space. I cut my base portion 2x12's to rough length before stacking for ease of walking around the pile. Most likely the 2x12's will want to "pinch" your TS blade (if that is what you use) when ripping to rough width, so be prepared for an alternate method than just normal, straight TS ripping. I agree, it is time to go to work.
    David

Quote Originally Posted by David Eisenhauer View Post
    Most likely the 2x12's will want to "pinch" your TS blade (if that is what you use) when ripping to rough width, so be prepared for an alternate method than just normal, straight TS ripping. I agree, it is time to go to work.
    I hope that is not the case, my alternative will either be a circular saw, which I would assume would pinch. Or a d8 that I'm converting to a rip saw, which would really suck. Oh well,Guess it gives me a chance to practice my sawing skills.

I ended up calling an actual lumber yard and they stock kd doug fir 2x12x12, couple bucks more per length, but I'd rather start with dryer wood.
    They'll even deliver my little order (for free) if I wanted. But I'm sure I'd be better off picking through the pile than taking what's delivered.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael J Evans View Post
    I hope that is not the case, my alternative will either be a circular saw, which I would assume would pinch. Or a d8 that I'm converting to a rip saw, which would really suck. Oh well,Guess it gives me a chance to practice my sawing skills.

I ended up calling an actual lumber yard and they stock kd doug fir 2x12x12, couple bucks more per length, but I'd rather start with dryer wood.
    They'll even deliver my little order (for free) if I wanted. But I'm sure I'd be better off picking through the pile than taking what's delivered.
    They might let you pick them out and then deliver what you pick out.