Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What new skill do you want to learn - 2017

I'd like to learn how to refinish my dining table and chairs without destroying them. I'm sure I'll find helpful information in the pages here!

My other skill I will learn is how to maintain my good habits and complete projects in a timely manner.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Henrickson View Post
    My brother is a machinist. The first time he saw me turning, he had a funny look on his face. He was quite dubious about a handheld tool. He has yet to try a wood lathe.
    If you really want to blow his mind grind yourself a couple of gravers and show him how to hand turn brass (I've seen videos of clockmakers hand turning hardened steel but that looked a bit more tricky).

https://www.instagram.com/p/BDjRC-AoUVl/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IVhdlfE0oDE

turning brass, etc

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Mooney View Post
    If you really want to blow his mind grind yourself a couple of gravers and show him how to hand turn brass (I've seen videos of clockmakers hand turning hardened steel but that looked a bit more tricky).
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IVhdlfE0oDE
    The graver looks like a skew-bedan. The guy in the video seems awfully timid about using it.

I've turned a bunch of brass and aluminum on the wood lathe with standard woodturning tools, usually a Thompson skew and spindle gouge. You can get very nice, long shavings. (Some acrylic in the pic too, sorry) The multi-axis drunken golf tee was fun. I should give it to the man who lives in the crooked house.

aluminum_brass_plastic.jpg brass_finial_ring_IMG_2384.jpg

Free-machining brass (360) seems to work the best.

This is an adapter for a tool handle. I usually make these from steel (on the metal lathe) but tried one on the wood lathe just to see if I could.

IMG_20150420_121555_806_se.jpg IMG_20150420_122415_440_se.jpg finished_IMG_20150420_153836_566_se.jpg HUNTER_IMG_20150420_153716_733_se.jpg

So far I've turned wood, acrylic, nylon, aluminum, brass, and a big carrot. Maybe I'll turn off the heat in the shop one day and try turning a chunk of ice.

JKJ
    Last edited by John K Jordan; 01-09-2017 at 7:00 PM.

4. Segmented bowl and getting comfortable with the skew.

hello John
    I live in Vermont for some reason I could not enter my information in the "my profile" area. I will try again.

thank you for the generous offer. very nice
    going back to the vfd on my friends 1642 jet. in the end he ordered on from jet it was the quickest way to get him up and running.

thanks for all your help