Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: anti seize on light bulbs

anti seize on light bulbs

My dad is in the hospital so I don't want to bother him with this. The light bulbs in my ceiling fan in my room are hard to replace when they burn out. I found some Loctite c5-a copper anti-seize (the solid kind that's in a screw out stick) in the garage. Would it be ok to put a light coating on the threads before I put the new bulbs in? Seems crazy that a light bulb is hard to replace. But when they get stuck it's tough because my hand is too big to get a good grip on it inside the actual light thing that surrounds it. Thanks
    Last edited by Dave Macy; 01-02-2017 at 1:10 PM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Macy View Post
    My dad is in the hospital so I don't want to bother him with this. The light bulbs in my ceiling fan in my room are hard to replace when they burn out. I found some Loctite c5-a copper anti-seize (the solid kind that's in a screw out stick) in the garage. Would it be ok to put a light coating on the threads before I put the new bulbs in? Seems crazy that a light bulb is hard to replace. But when they get stuck it's tough because my hand is too big to get a good grip on it inside the actual light thing that surrounds it. Thanks
    I wouldn't. Get some spray silicone and spray some on the light bulb base before you screw it in when replacing them. Make sure you are using the proper wattage bulbs. Most ceiling fans with multiple bulbs are limited to 40 watt bulbs.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Macy View Post
    I understand some anti-seize compounds contain metal particles. From an engineering web site I found this just now: "Most anti-sticking compounds consist of a solid lubricant dispersed in a grease or binder. The anti-seizing material provides an insulating barrier or layer between metal components and allows for the easy dismantling of fasteners and parts. Material composition largely dictates thermal performance. Material composition largely dictates thermal performance. Aluminum, copper, nickel, molybdenum disulfide, and graphite powders are common slip agents. Anti-seize compounds that contain metallic particulates and graphite powders are also used."

I don't know if this would cause them to be conductive enough to short out the 110v but if so, it could be a problem on an electrical socket if some got in the wrong place.

What I use is dielectric grease, available at any auto parts store or in a larger container/applicator at an electrical supply store. And probably at WalMart, I didn't check. In the house I use it on light bub sockets/bases and on contact points in my breaker boxes. In electronic/electrical devices I use it on contacts for connectors and inside switches I repair. For automobile, tractor, mower, 4-wheelers, and trailers I use it everywhere two electrical things make contact - bulbs, connectors, etc. This stuff has saved me a lot of grief.

JKJ

I agree with JKJ, I use conductive grease on exterior low voltage lighting, we have some low voltage lights that have bayonet style bulbs halogen that love to get stuck in the socket. Applying a light coating of conductive grease to the base of the bulb has made the stuck bulbs a thing of the past.

No, you should not use it.

Silicone grease is the correct thing to use; https://www.amazon.com/Permatex-2205.../dp/B000AL8VD2

7. I have the same problem with my lights on my ceiling fans & I put a light coat of silicone dielectric grease on the thread of the new bulbs. I have been doing that for years and no problems.

Thanks. Will get some dielectric grease.

Use silicone paste (grease). Get from electrical supply store or ship (boat) chandlery. Also, can be found in auto stores. I wouldn't use the spray silicone which works great for plastic zippers.

Blog Entries
    There is actually a product made specifically for this:

bulb Grease.jpg

Home Depot, Walmart, all the usual suspects carry this or another brand.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I learned this trick from an old electrician years ago and it works. Believe it or not, you can rub the back of your ear or the side of your nose then rub the metal base of the bulb. This light coating of oil from you skin will make the bulb very easy to screw in and prevent it from seizing for many years.

This shouldn't be so challenging. I would try something you, likely, already have around the house. Try just a dab of Vaseline. See if that works. If it doesn't, nothing lost .. try something else, but I bet it'll work fine.
    Last edited by Yonak Hawkins; 01-03-2017 at 11:40 PM. Reason: spelling .. oops

Vaseline will work fine, smear a little on, wipe off the excess.
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Blog Entries
    I always use some dialectric grease on my edison base light bulbs. I've taken flourescent tubes out of service and seen evidence of minor arcing there.

My new house is pretty much all LED. I would guess that I won't need the grease much longer. Yay!

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Feeley View Post
    My new house is pretty much all LED. I would guess that I won't need the grease much longer. Yay!
    Roger, If any of your LED lights have edison bases you might still want to use the dielectric grease. The brighter LED bulbs can get pretty hot. Last week one of the two LED lights over my bathroom sink got flaky. I had to clean the brass inside the fixture to remove a bit of corrosion. A thin coat of dielectric grease and it's stable again.