Thread: help with louis stock xv style legs

help with louis stock xv style legs

Ive been looking at at photos of louis xv style console tables and have decided i want to make one. The legs are giving me some trouble though. Essentially they appear to be cabriole legs with scroll feet, but when drawing up patterns the required size of the stocks is somewhere around 4" square and since the legs are so dainty the amount of waste is unacceptable to me. also when cut like a cabriole leg the amount of wood left to remove is quite large. This is especially noticable on the third photo. the amount of inward cant would require a 6" wide piece of stock with the cabriole leg method and almost all of that would be waste. Does anyone have a better way to cut the profile of these legs?
    77147.JPG948.jpgdealer_churchstreetlondon_highres_1418253141188-1799301798.jpg

Ron, the best way is to make up blanks by gluing up out of more commonly available stock. I used to have to do this for chairs with a complex shaped back leg. I don't have photos sorry. We would band saw the components out of planed stock, glue up, shape it in one dimention, band saw the other dimension, shape that and then go and mortise and tenon. It's involved but it gets the result. It's why this type of furniture was and is expensive. Great project. Cheers